What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A NZ alpine dew...

petmantis

ermahgerd
I got this plant approximately a month ago, from CPgeek (thanks Rob! :) ) with 2 leaves.

I was expecting something much slower growing (max 4 leaves in a growth period of 6 months, apparently) and temperamental, but nooo! :D

This is the third leaf it's produced in my care, in just over a month.

Drosera arcturi -Turoa, Mt. Ruapehu, NZ. 1550 m.

DSC08274.jpg

DSC08273.jpg

DSC08272.jpg

Conditions:
I grow it in my basement :p 13-16*C nighttime, about 17-20*C daytime.
100% Canadian LFSM
Water level is pretty high, just an inch below soil surface.
Lighting: 9 watt CFL desklamp, 2 inches above plant :-O:-D:banana2: (And they told me it couldn't be done! Muahaha!)

Now to see if it will survive the summer heat...

Good job!:hail: This is a notoriously difficult plant to cultivate - keep us updated on how it's growing.

Good job!:hail: This is a notoriously difficult plant to cultivate - keep us updated on how it's growing.

Thank you - that's exactly what I feared (and continue to fear, in the long term). However, for how it's been doing while in my care, I'm impressed....

The real challenge will be to start putting it in dormancy, because in June, July and August the cold room in my basement where it's thriving will warm up to 20*C.... and that's when it will probably do badly - or, in the worst case, kick the bucket.

I've opted to try growing this in the wintertime, when the temps are just above 7*C. In the summer, it will be in the fridge :-D

Hopefully, if I can actually keep this plant alive, it will be a great indicator to whether or not I can try Darlingtonia again! :D

noiceee! very nice!!

I hope you are feeding it constantly. You want as much growth as you can get out of it as you can get before dormancy.

I hope you are feeding it constantly. You want as much growth as you can get out of it as you can get before dormancy.

Well, now that you mention it.... :0o:

I think I better go get my fish food, hmmm...

I think the LFS is very impressive!

LOL! Was there a plant in there?

Nice job, your temp range is perfect and the water level sounds great too. As Not a number says feed it heaps, that the most important thing. Iv grown it from seed and its sooooo slow but you have a nice established plant so you are lucky. It can take reasonably high temps if its growing well so dont worry too much. The part most people find hard is the dormancy which it must have.

Due to the usual temps in a Montreal summer, the basement has started to heat up, it is now 18*C during the day (about 65*F) and a few degrees more during the day, possibly (and probably :0o: ) passing 20*C (about 70*C).

As expected after feeding, the plant didn't digest its food too well in the very high humidity, so it made a stunted and small leaf (probably due to the increasing temps as well).

I'm repotting it into a bigger pot, so the Sphagnum moss can fit into the pot (it's been getting taller and taller, and overgrowing the plant). Also, I'm going to start using ice packs to keep the water cool, thus keeping the plant cool. During the night, I'll be placing the plant into a thermos cooler with ice packs, to lower the night temperatures sufficiently ( I do this for my Darlingtonia as well).

Once it's time for dormancy, I get a 6 month break! Yay! LOL

germinated arcturi... now what?

Nice job, your temp range is perfect and the water level sounds great too. (...) The part most people find hard is the dormancy, which it must have.

Hello! I am trying to grow this plant, and am not having much luck finding such information as recommended day and night time temps, and water and dormancy requirements.
I used cold stratification and after only a month and a half, i have a number of seedlings sprouting. Im very excited to grow this beautiful species and dont want to make any stupid mistakes

Also if anyone could share their techniques for keeping temperatures down that would be fun

currently using natural light indoors with a nighttime drop of around ten degrees F
still under saran using mostly misting, very little water in the tray

They have a short growing season when they need to be feed a lot can survive high temps (20-30c or 68-85f) is ok, in the summer, likes a drop at night. needs a winter dormancy when it will go back to a kind of hyberniculum. Likes to be kept quite wet in dormancy I just put mine outside and let them get frozen down to -6 or 21f or whatever on occasion. They need a lot of feeding during there growing season this will help them grow faster as they are incredibly slow growers. Hope that gives you some ideas. (I have a lot of seed of this in the refridgerator right now!) sowed some over the winter in my glasshouse too still waiting for them to germinate. Good luck

Back