What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better 'Giant' growing method

Happened across this pic, and I have to say.. this growing method may be just what I need to help improve the condition of my D.dichotoma 'Giant'. As of right now, it's in my dew tank. But the tendrils get so tall and long so quickly that they either burn up in the lights or grow past the lights and fizzle out.

http://www.hawaiianbotanicals.com/images/Sundews/D.dichotoma.jpg

Don't try them outside, or if you do, I hope you don't have storng winds, mine croaked cause the winds blew them around quite a bit. I assume it is cause they were greenhouse grown and hadn't acclimated to a windy situation. My other specimen, not grown outside, but in a west facing window, looked identical to the one you linked to. Mine grow between swampy wet in a hanging basket with ambient RH, and not so wet but with high humidity in my terra(makes for quite the centerpiece in there, started from a 1 inch root cutting i placed). Either way, it is a spectacular plant. My suggestion, 12 inch hanging basket with a water tray of contantly 2 inches of water in a window with plenty of sun.

I don't have anything growing outdoors.. I've got a few hanging baskets, so I was going to repot it tomorrow and hang it out in the sunroom.

My dichotoma "Giants" have an upright growth habit... it might be because I grow them outside in full sun. I like them hanging better! :-))

Back