What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

capensis are unstoppable

Just wanted to share a quick story regarding how vigorous and hardy capensis are. I live in Oregon and was growing some cape sundews in a bog garden last summer. I removed them when winter came and brought them inside. This spring I was looking at the bog they came from and was surprised to see a small D. capensis growing in the exact area I removed the larger plants from! A root must have been cut off in the hasty process of transplanting them, survived the winter which consisted of frozen ground and snow, and sprouted when warmer weather came. These are truly amazing plants!

I'm wondering why these aren't invasive species in the US. I mean, I've managed to kill adult ones in a greenhouse, but everyone says how resilient and powerful they are...

Thats really interesting. I have some seedlings that are just little green lint at the moment but I was wondering about letting some of them overwinter outside in a dark colored pot and see if they would make it. We have some cold days but not a lot of freezing weather.

I would place them on a plant rack up against the house and wrap it in plastic and just let them do there thing. This was what I was planning for my VFT and any other temperate dews that I get.

what part of oregon are you from? im in albany

It's super easy to kill any cp with a bit of drought, except maybe pings and some other genuses.

But many are surprisingly hardy in the cold.

Congrats on the unexpected plantlet!

Im from beaverton/aloha area in Oregon. about 20 minutes outside of Portland.

Like death and taxes, the sundew is unstoppable. I use live sphagnum for most of my composts and I am constantly removing D. capensis from pots and snipping flower stalks. I even have some overgrowing some of my smaller species of Sarracenia . . .

My Capensis came from the nursery I ordered it from IN BLOOM. I was thinking "Oh wow dude, how pretty, I've never seen CP flowers before".

A month later in all my nepenthes pots... *looks hard* wait those look like little sundews...

Now I have about 20 plants lol. I sometimes cut the dead/half brown leaves and just leave them on the surface, and now I have essentially a nepenthes sprouting out of a bouquet of D. Capensis. I managed to get rid of a bit of them and plant them outside among my sarrs.

For some odd reason I CANNOT get one to survive successfully in what I feel are good conditions, they only seem to sprout under crappy ones, like under my nep leaves.

I'm wondering why these aren't invasive species in the US. I mean, I've managed to kill adult ones in a greenhouse, but everyone says how resilient and powerful they are...

Actually, I think they ARE invasive in parts of the US. I want to say California, but I'm not sure if that's right. They probably are in other parts of the world, too. These plants are insane...we gotta be careful not to let them escape. :0o:

I'm actually beginning to think D. Capensis doesn't need pure water either, I just found one growing in my garden right behind the sprinkler head 0__0. I threw some of my old clippings out there for compost and yeah there were some dew leaves in that mix..

I've seen Neps do the same thing at Pete's nursery though.

i wish they will be the same, i just kill the last plant of mine a month ago..still mourning on it...

Their only crime, like the U. subulata and the dandelion, is that they are successful! Can you imagine if D. regia was the successful one and D. capensis wasn't?

Last edited:
...then everyone would hate D. regia and love capensis? Capensis is beautiful and awesome, what's wrong with that? When something becomes common we take the qualities for granted.

...then everyone would hate D. regia and love capensis? Capensis is beautiful and awesome, what's wrong with that? When something becomes common we take the qualities for granted.

Exactimundo!

Back