What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

d.capensis humidity issues?

I was under the impression, from constant reading about sundews, that Drosera capensis could grow pretty well in low humidity. is this correct? im asking mainly because i noticed that my seedlings were practically at a standstill so i took a plastic bag and covered them and now after a week they've easily gone from 1-2mm to about a cm in size...???

in my experience, good humidity AND good lighting always produce healthier, more robust plants. The biggest thing to watch out for about humidity is maintaining enough airflow to prevent stagnation and fungal attacks. Relatively easy to control in a well-built greenhouse compared to a small bag over a pot or death cube.

That being said, plants acclimated to low humidity sometimes have thicker and tougher leaves and do just as well...as many of our desert growers can attest.

I've also found if you grow the plants in low humidity from roots/leaf cuttings, they seem already "geared" towards growing in a low humidity environment as opposed to growing from seed or a plant already established in high humidity.

ahhh gotcha, okay i thought mine were just wierd. yea i have many holes in the bag with cpu fans circulating the air throughout the terrarium.

I actually grow this plant full sun outdoors. Zone 9. without a water tray. I just have the plant in a ceramic pot and water everytime I remember. I treat this plant really bad and it still thrives. Now with that said, all the times I get seeds from the plant, I have the seedlings in almost full sun conditions. I have seen the seedling's growth start slow but after the first year it really takes off.

Humidity is good, but, not necessary, for pretty much any CP with the exception of several Nepenthes/Heliamphora species. I grew a Cephalotus from a baby to flowering/maturity [flowered twice] with over 2 inch pitchers in a Wisconsin windowsill with down to 20% humidity at times. It thrived. For all seasons with no extra protection depending on the season.

D. capensis is a trooper. Seedlings might be more sensitive, but, as they get older, feel free to decrease the humidity by punching holes in the bag and eventually just taking it off.

Back