What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain Exposure?

lizasaur

Charlatan
So last night, we had one HELL of a storm.
It got cloudy and was thundering, which, big whoops, happens every evening for the past three weeks.
But this time the sky turned dark and a funky shade of gray green.
And then there were these amazing gusts of wind which were sustained for several minutes. I was scared it was a tornado ._.
And it started raining lightly but then it started coming down harder. Hard enough for the gutters to flood and me collect a beautiful 20 gallons of rain ;D
Also hard enough for me to realize my Sarr seedlings weren't quite big enough to weather it. So I had to rush out to protect them, and my little Hamata had long been on the lanai, nice and safe<3
And the morning after, things were mostly good. Infact everything was. Except my sundews. Some seemed to be pretty beaten up. And I guess in theory, the rain would remove their dew, right? Even though my typical Filiformis is all dewy, it's the only one that is.

So..should the sundews be protected from heavy rain?

The temperates will be fine. I am not sure about the tropical and subtropical ones if you have them out there. I have never grown them outside so am not sure what they are capable of. I would suspect they will be fine too.

They may be dewless for a day or two, but in time they will return to normal.

I do try to protect mine from heavy rain mainly so the pots do not get flooded and the seedling dews and sarrs dont get dug up from the soil. I have long tray pots that have flooded on occasion during heavy rains and I have lost a seedling dew or sarr as a result.

In nature they don't have anyone that protects them from the rain ;) They will be fine, I've grown D. capensis albino outside in the summer and we get heavy storms, your plants should be just fine. Now if you have pygmies you have to be careful they don't get covered with peat when it rains hard but otherwise you should be ok!

20 gallons?! What a bounty!

@dewy: haha, true :p My little Rosea was nearly obliterated, but hopefully it'll be fine. I did have a couple weaklings (like my Capillaris) that weren't doing good before and are doing worse now..

@jimscott: I know!! I'm so happy! There's another storm brewing outside as we speak! Imagine if I collect another 20 gallons!!

...and they thought you were living in a drought-stricken area...

I grow my spathulata, filiformis ssp tracyi and capenthes outdoors. We have been getting plenty of rain. They should be fine.

Back