What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

recurring anglica problem...

Hi everyone!

well I seem to have a young D. anglica going into dormancy, and I wonder what can I do to help it. here's a shot I took hours ago :
100_0517.jpg

it's the one in the back, with browning leaves. the media is wettish (1'' distilled water), 1:1 peat/silica sand and all is facing a east-south patio. there are 2 glass doors + a mesh that filters the light. it is forming a dormancy bud (unfolded green leaves), some posts state it is caused by insufficient lighting. if it is so, what steps should I take to acclimate this stressed sundew to full sun?? I'm concerned about it since it's my last one of 10 other plantlets! :(

any help appreciated!!
thanks
Fred

i dont think thats dormancy....
i think thats dead.

my thoughts exactly. Did you recently repot them?

meh I wish I could get a closer shot, my camera is crappy with macro shots...the center is still green! it is not all dead,the main leaves are dying atm, but the center is untouched, having a few leaves folded. I've had a few plants doing this before dormancy, so I had put them in the fridge and after taking them out new growth resumed as normal (i lost these plants after a hot spell tho...). For this last one though, well we are approaching July, I doubt a cold period is what it should get lol. At any rate, I could be wrong and it is dying whatsoever, but given the conditions it was in, I would be surprised...it had good light (maybe not full sun but!), pretty much a good media to grow in, and I buy distilled water from the store. the peat I use is pure canadian peat, bought in a bale ( not those plastic bags with advertisement, these are more likely to contain fertilizers).

any ideas what is happening here anyone?

massmorels- nope I didn't, it grows in the same pot since it was a tiny cute sprout! ;)

IMO, from my experience it looks too wet and like it's rotting. I've found sundews for me at least don't like to be really wet, because indoors they have a tendency to get root rot. So if I had to guess I would say that might be the problem.

I have seen many temperate species make summer hibernacua, most commonly I have seen them in tropical forms of D. intermedia. With the few varieties of d. anglica I grow, I recall seeing similar things in the Hawaiian populations. My summer is different from that typically found in the Alakai Swamp on Kauai. I tend to be hotter, drier. Maybe they are responding to smithing similar. What populations of anglica are you growing?

IMO, from my experience it looks too wet and like it's rotting. I've found sundews for me at least don't like to be really wet, because indoors they have a tendency to get root rot. So if I had to guess I would say that might be the problem.

I've had the same experience with dews. I know a lot of people recommend the tray system with dews, but I've lost a lot of dews to rot. I'm not so enamored with the tray system as I once was. I no longer use it with pings either. The only plants I still use it with is utrics and (some) sarracenias.

-Hermes.

I've had the same experience with dews. I know a lot of people recommend the tray system with dews, but I've lost a lot of dews to rot. I'm not so enamored with the tray system as I once was. I no longer use it with pings either. The only plants I still use it with is utrics and (some) sarracenias.

-Hermes.

Same here, utrics and sarrs are the only plants I use the tray system with. I do put a small amount of water in my sundew trays but I give it several days with the soil drier/moist so that root rot won't occur. That is why my capensis kept dying, I had too much water in the tray and it was rotting from the roots. Once I tried it drier it really began to take off. I've noticed the plant that responds best to drier soil is vft. What happens is the roots grow deeper searching for more water, thus encouraging root development and giving it more vigorous growth. If you saw the picture of my pot of bigmouths, I believe thats the main reason they have grown so well. Try growing your plants drier Fred, I think it will make a big difference in the health of your plants.

Sounds like you need a more open mix to me. I grow all my pings, and dew on the tray method. I have a 1:1:1 peat/sand/perlite (for the perlite haters you can replace with pumice, lava rock and APS) mix with the dews. The Ping mix is even more open with 1:1:1:1:1 peat/sand/perlite/pumice/lava rock. This prevents rot even in flooded conditions.

-Hermes.

Sounds like you need a more open mix to me. I grow all my pings, and dew on the tray method. I have a 1:1:1 peat/sand/perlite (for the perlite haters you can replace with pumice, lava rock and APS) mix with the dews. The Ping mix is even more open with 1:1:1:1:1 peat/sand/perlite/pumice/lava rock. This prevents rot even in flooded conditions.

I have tried a 1:1:1:1 mix of peat, lfs, sand, and perlite before as well as the one you mentioned, and while it helped some I still got rot or weaker plant growth. I've found with all plants that if you encourage an stimulate root development, the plant will be more vigorous and hardy than one that has a shallower root system. For example, my current vft have survived tap water when I ran out of rain water, and several months of tap water at that. Before it would kill them, but now they are very hardy and I see little to no ill effects on them. Thats why I grow mine drier, because it produces at least for me hardier and stronger plants. But as we all know, different conditions work for different people so whatever works best for you :) I think Fred has 2 problems being in that his soil looks like a mainly peat mix which gives little aeration, as well as high water tables encouraging the problem of root rot also.

thanks for the input people, I guess I will cut off watering for some time, and put it in semi-shade outside so it gets more light. I do have a tendency to keep dews well watered, perhaps this sp. in articular doesn't like it THAT wet. also, I will had that I am pretty sure this is a normal temperate form of anglica (it didn't have specific locality when I bought the seeds).

thanks!

thanks for the input people, I guess I will cut off watering for some time, and put it in semi-shade outside so it gets more light. I do have a tendency to keep dews well watered, perhaps this sp. in articular doesn't like it THAT wet. also, I will had that I am pretty sure this is a normal temperate form of anglica (it didn't have specific locality when I bought the seeds).

thanks!

What I would recommend is giving it less water, just keep the soil black so that its moist to the touch, but don't have it in standing water right now. Also, I'm not sure if it would be good to move it outside as that will shock it more, I would leave it where its at right now and just reduce the water amount. Hope that helps! Here is a pot of baby D. capensis albino that I grew several years ago, notice how the soil is moist but not wet, this is what you want to aim for.

P1070756.JPG

What's all this about rot? I keep most of my dews nearly swimming and they seem to love it. :crazy:

Exo, I do the same thing. I think the issue here is mainly light. In the first description, it seems that way too much light is being blocked. You should be able to grow them much better outdoors if you acclimate them very slowly.

Well I have no problem growing other sundews, like pygmies, D. sessilifolia, capensis of course, prolifera or adelae. Yet these are the trickiest of my collection :S

I will cut back on water, and yeah probably keep it inside for some time. Should I put my pot under 4 X 4ft T8 facing that window? this is my winter setup, I removed my plants from it for summer since it was heating quite a lot in there (40gallon aquarium with glass lid).

Well I have no problem growing other sundews, like pygmies, D. sessilifolia, capensis of course, prolifera or adelae. Yet these are the trickiest of my collection :S

I will cut back on water, and yeah probably keep it inside for some time. Should I put my pot under 4 X 4ft T8 facing that window? this is my winter setup, I removed my plants from it for summer since it was heating quite a lot in there (40gallon aquarium with glass lid).

I would definitely try to slowly increase the amount of light you give it, sundews love light the more the better. Also decreasing the water will help, because a sundew in distress like yours is already weak so fungus and root rot is much more likely to set in if it hasn't already. Keep the soil moist for now and update us in a few weeks to let us know how it does!

Back