What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heat tolerance of D. filiformis ssp. filiformis?

How heat tolerant is D. filiformis ssp. filiformis? I aquired one last fall, and it survived through the winter, bloomed and produced many leaves in the spring, but now appears to be doing poorly. I live in the DC area, and we have been having some very hot weeks with temps up into the 80s and 90s. I have it in an undrained window box in a mix of peat moss and sand. There is also a D. dichotoma living in the same pot too. Since D. filiformis ssp. filiformis is a northern plant, could the heat be the problem? I do have photos, but I will have to post them up tommorrow.
Williamg

Last edited:
mine tolerate 90 degrees and those are the tips of the l;eaves that grow into the lights on my rack. they hold dew for a week then crincle after a few more days. but the plant sends then up even taller evrytime. so dew may be dangered yet i cannot say the same for the plant intself.

I grow mine in Indiana and it has experienced high nineties during summer and probably a 100+ day or two. What I do during hot days is make sure they get plenty of water. I will water them in the morning and check again when I get home from work to make sure the soil isn't too dry. I have had mine for 3 years and it is doing good.

I grow mine in a window box planter that has a small reservoir and I use a 1:1 peat perlite mix which is my standard temperate mix.

They originate from the NJ area I think which is Zone 5, the same as Indiana. But then Zones are only meant to categorize winter temps and not summer heat.

Today was our first day in the 90's so far this summer..
(only had one 90+ day last summer)

we are going to have a string of 4 days in a row at about 92-94 degrees..
my D. filiformis is right out in the blazing sun all day..
I will report back in a few days how she is handling the heat..
I dont expect any problems..

Scot

Update on my filliformis..
its perfectly fine!

It had about 5 days in a row of mid-90's..and weeks of mid to high 80's..
plus being right on the hot deck, its local "micro climate" is probably even hotter..

no problems at all..

Scot

Low 100s here the past few days and no problems at all with my filiformis! Just keep them wet and don't let it dry out and your fine.

Mine is doing great in 95F+ heat.

After they flower they don't look so great. They have fewer leaves and smaller leaves. I think this is what you're describing. Don't worry, probably just normal at this time of year.

Not heat sensitive provided there is good humidity, water, light and air movement. This is true for almost all Drosera species. Even the Brasillian's can take surface heat if the roots are cool and there is ALWAYS a 5-10 drop at night. South Africans will go semi dormant in prolonged high heat growing when conditions improve. I grew many alpines in a totally sealed bin in full sun here from seed and they didn't bat a tentacle, as long as humidity was high and the medium was wet. Growing from seed is the best way to produce tough plants. If I tried that with indoor plants put outside they would be toast in a day. Tuberous dews are the most sensitive to heat, and some pygmy's as well.

I'm about to put 3 recently acquired D. filiformis types, as well as some binata types outside.. under buckets and planters.

Back