What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy or not?

I recently received a sundew labeled "Drosera x tokaiensis (rotundifolia x spatulata)" and was wondering if this plant needs dormancy or not?

Peter D'Amato says it does go dormant in the winter.

Goes dormant when it's too hot, I think. Probably dormant.

I believe we're talking about winter dormancy here. :scratch:

:0o:

Well, with rotundifolia as one of the parents... you're looking at a winter-dormant plant. Or at least semi-winter dormant.

it is probably one of those plants that will go dormant if it can, but does not NEED it....like a few other temperate x tropical hybrids...

i believe the rotund used in this hybrid was a plant from farther south in cali, that already had a weak dormancy time as it was...

IDK, they're both temperate species I think. I'd "fridge" it.

Last edited:
D. spatulata is not temperate...its a tropical dew...or atleast sub-tropical...im not too wellrounded on the Drosera area...but i know spatulata definitely does not need a dormancy.

rotundifolia on the other hand is temperate, i believe there are tropical forms however, or atleast definitely near tropical forms which require little to no dormancy.

Hmmm, well I googled and some say it doesn't need dormancy and others say it do.. That really clears it up lol.

imagine a tuberous x temperate dew, dormant in summer and winter! :D

i think drosera xTokaiensis is different from the actual Drosera tokaiensis....the tokaiensis i grew never tried to go dormant at any time...it is native to Japan, and at one point was considered a ssp of spatulata, and it does look very very similar, even the flowers do....

i think drosera xTokaiensis is different from the actual Drosera tokaiensis....the tokaiensis i grew never tried to go dormant at any time...it is native to Japan, and at one point was considered a ssp of spatulata, and it does look very very similar, even the flowers do....

So if the drosera x tokaiensis is different, would that mean it needs dormancy or not? It looks almost identical to D. spatulata and is sending a flower stalk up as well.

"He who has a watch, has the time". He who has 2 watches, has 2 times".

There is no difference between D. x tokaiensis and D. tokaiensis. The 'x' just denotes that it is a natural hybrid in accordance to horticultural nomenclature. It was given a latin name because it was originally thought to be a species or subspecies.

By the way Ivan Snyder has a man-made D. tokaiensis which should be white-flowered. There are no natural white-flowered D. tokaiensis.

There is no difference between D. x tokaiensis and D. tokaiensis. The 'x' just denotes that it is a natural hybrid in accordance to horticultural nomenclature. It was given a latin name because it was originally thought to be a species or subspecies.

By the way Ivan Snyder has a man-made D. tokaiensis which should be white-flowered. There are no natural white-flowered D. tokaiensis.

So does it need dormancy then?

So they did prove it was a hybrid with rotund then? I was unaware of this as i still find a ton of mixed expressions on it, and nothing on hybridization when i search tokaiensis and not xTokaiensis... NaN was there a paper written or anything publishing these findings?

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

If it is the same thing Dewy, no it doesnt.... NaN also, this is one of the few natural drosera hybrids that produce viable seed then, huh?

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118787290/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

I don't have the full paper but the abstract suggests that D. x tokiaensis has dormancy traits from both parents but not to either extreme. As such I would guess most of the these plants have a relaxed dormancy requirement. In other words they will go dormant if you let them but otherwise will survive long term without it. Note there are temperate forms of D. spatulata that have dormancy.

See also Nakamura, T. & Ueda, K. 1991, Phytogeography of Tokai Hilly Land Element II. Taxonomic Study of Drosera tokaiensis (Komiya & Shibata) T. Nakamura & Ueda (Droseraceae), Acta Phytotax. Geobot., 42: 125-137

As for fertile seeds, yes, being an amphidiploid. When people got around to looking at the genetics of these plants it was obvious they were probably dealing with a hybrid - 2n=60 vs 20 for D. rotundifolia and 40 for D. spatulata

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!! I'll just grow it in my terrarium indoors year round and see what happens, it's a pretty cool looking plant in that it looks a lot like spatulata but has leaves shaped a little more like rotundifolia.

Yeah, I've grown my D. tokaiensis for 3 years outdoors during the summer and indoors under lights during the winter and they never went dormant or showed a decline in growth. I've seen a picture of D. tokaiensis forming a hibernacula before when the person's plants were subjected to cooler temps for an extended period of time. I've also read that they can tolerate up to ~100 F in their natural habitat

Back