What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Seed Germination...

lizasaur

Charlatan
I got lots of seeds in, I'm looking over the instructions and I'm uh...confused.

1- Fresh seeds just harvested still require stratification?
2- It's hot stratification required, evidently, and you place the seeds on top of the soil mix in a pot under lights. And then it says to sow them onto soil...isn't that a contradiction? Wasn't the sowing just done? I mean, it'd be idiotic and near impossible to try and move them from one pot of soil mix to the other.

What drosera seeds did you get?

1- Fresh seeds just harvested still require stratification?

It depends on the species... rotundifolia, linearis, filiformis, tracyi, and other temperate dews need a cold stratification, while subtropical and tropical dews like capensis, burmannii, and regia do not.

Yeah, I tossed his instructions and went to the ICPS site thanks to Frilleon. Much better :p

If they are tuberous sundews, here's a linky to how to do warm stratification.

http://www.rarexoticseeds.com/Drosera/Graines_Drosera_Peltata_Seeds.html

and the quote:

''Hot stratification

It creates a hot and moist environment for the seeds. This will break their dormancy. Place the seeds on top of a prepared soil mix. Put the pots with seeds in plastic ziplock bags under but not too close to florescent lights. A temperature around 25°C / 76°F works best. Make sure to check the seeds often. If fungus or mold appears treat it with a fungicide.''

good luck, i got 0% germination... maybe they were old seed...

Well yeah, but as it is, hot stratification is done after sowing them.
The included instructions read:
"for stratification, place the seeds on top of a prepared soil mix. put the pots with seeds in plastic bags and put them under lights"
then, for germination "sow seeds directly on the surface of your moist but not soaked soil mix."

WTF DID I JUST DO FOR STRATIFICATION, NIMROD? :crazy:

Back