What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

APS for Drosphyllum?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I don't have any more perlite to mix in with sand but I do have a bag full of APS. Whaddya think of using APS in the mix?

i think it actually might work! then again, i have no experience in growing drosophyllum so i probably shouldn't chime in :blush:

but fwiw, i think the consistancy and texture of APS might be great from growing Drosophyllum, especially for the arid nature in what the plants are normally grown in.

Worked marvelously for me. Won't save you from freezing temperatures though - take my word for it. :D
~Joe

Joe, did you mix it with other media?

Yes, I used sand/perlite/peat for the bottom half of the pot because I knew the perlite wouldn't float with a bunch of APS on top of it. The very bottom of the pot may have been all perlite or lava rock for drainage - I can't remember. I mixed the APS with enough peat and sand that it would stick together a bit if I wet it thoroughly and then squeezed it into a clump. Over time the APS rose to the top a bit, but it worked well. I lost the plants after a couple years but I still have the pot out on my porch for the next time I come across seeds.
~Joe

I just tried a 6" pot with a bottom layer of LFS, followed by a larger layer of sand and peat, followed by a top layer of APS,, and have it outside. We'll see what happens... or not!

Sounds pretty good. Are you going to do Slack-potting once you get sprouts?
~Joe

I could do that with the one pot but the rest are scattered among the planters and buckets.

Back