What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis in South Africa

Hi,

i will continue my series of pictures from Southafrica with D. capensis. We found them at three locations: Gifberg, Bains Kloof and Theewaterskloof Dam. In many cases, the plants are growing verticaly on rocks. All locations have in common, that they are very wet! Although, D. capensis can become a weed in cultivation, it is not really common in southafrica.

IMG_1788-capensis.jpg

IMG_1794-capensis.jpg

IMG_1797-capensis.jpg

IMG_1828-capensis.jpg

IMG_2636-capensis.jpg

IMG_2652-capensis.jpg

IMG_2702-capensis.jpg

IMG_2705-capensis.jpg

IMG_2709-capensis.jpg

IMG_2930-capensis.jpg

IMG_2936-capensis.jpg

A short video from Gifberg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzX5WY8xG6c

regards,
Christian

Thats super cool that they are just on the side of the road/path there.

This is easily the easiest and most unappreciated sundew in he hobby. It's only crime is that it is way too successful for its own good.

Well, I guess that explains why they are so easy to grow, considering that they can grow on nothing but rocks.....

Hi,

maybe i should mention, that Drosera capensis is in no way common in South Africa. There are several known populations, but most of them are not really large. The plants are always growing in places, that are wet the through the whole year. What really was interesting for me was to see the natural variation, especially at the Bain's Kloof. I can for sure tell you now, that the plant we have in cultivation from there does not representate the average of the plants growing there. Plants as we know them from cultivation are growing there just besides many other forms.

Christian

Back