What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera admirabilis in South Africa

Hallo,

we found Drosera admirabilis at the Bains Kloof (= D. spec. floating, together with D. regia), close to Hermanus (together with D. slackii) and on the way up to the Table Mountain.

IMG_2464-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

IMG_2469-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

IMG_2532-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

IMG_2536-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

IMG_2568-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

IMG_2570-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

IMG_2571-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

IMG_2578-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

IMG_2583-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

IMG_3807-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

IMG_3834-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

IMG_4499-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

IMG_4505-drosera_admirabilis.jpg

Christian

Last edited:
Again, beautiful plants! Do they like the daily temperature fluctuation?

Beautiful pictures; thanks for sharing your expedition!!!

So are they really floating?

Hi,

i am not sure about the day/night temperature drop in the habitats. I think, at least during winter, it can get quite cold, i would not even be surprised if the temperatures can go down as low as 0°C. I can assure you, that the weather on the Table Mountain can change within minutes from warm sunshine to cold fog. In cultivation, the plants do not need a night/day drop and will do fine with normal temperature. In my opinion, they benefit from a colder winter, though.

Drosera admirabilis sp. "floating" is growing in shallow flowing water. The water level is about 2-3 cm. The plants are not really floating, as they are still fixed to the soil. They just form a stem to put the rosettes over the water. We also found examples, that have grown "normaly".

regards,
Christian

Wow, I love D. admirabilis sp. "Floating"!
Unfortunately it seems the seed I purchased as D. sp. "Floating" isn't floating after all!
Here are a few pics:
seedlings that somewhat resemble the plants in the wild
seedlings_Drosera_admirabilis_sp_Floating.JPG

most recent (same plants) that don't look like the wild population at all...
Drosera_admirabilis_sp_Floating.JPG

Hi,

i am growing Drosera sp. 'floating' for severaly years now. The only good difference i see in these plants to other forms of D. admirabilis is the flower structure. The rosettes are mostly identical for my eye. I grow it like any other south african drosera, that means like a normal non-floating rosette. I never really tried to let them float :)

Christian

In case anyone else is wondering where Christian's photos went...
the answer is: here.

Hi,

yes, my weblinks all changed since 2010 and so most if not all of my pictures will not work anymore. I can restore most of them though and have just done this with the pictures in my initial post.

Christian

Back