What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks! I will punt that compliment to SDCPs... These little guys hitched a ride across the country in some utrics that he traded with me several weeks ago (thanks again!). Perhaps they are the direct offspring of the very plants shown in his pics above!

They most certainly are! One of the first pics (with the small plants) showed the plants I happened to plant in my Sarracenia pots. The very ones that I got all the seed from. I didn't have too many to start with...probably about as many as you have there, maybe fewer.

@Fury- nice work.
if you're growing these indoors, make sure that you feed them frequently. I'm guessing you've been told this already since it looks like the oldest leaves on your bigger plant were fed or caught springtails)
My first batch of D. indica slowly died off on me indoors after not feeding them for 2 months following germination and I had no idea what was going wrong! lol :)

And of course, great shots SDCPs! What's the tallest height one of your D. indica have ever reached?

I've recorded 10", but I'm almost certain at least one plant has topped a foot since then. They form a good-sized stem and will fall over (but keep growing) when ancient. A clump of them keeps each other in line. They also like it drier...one reason my Sarras didn't do exceptionally well this summer. I guess I liked the D. indica and the ease of less watering :-))

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's way bigger than I expected. Thanks for the info!

Wow, that's way bigger than I expected. Thanks for the info!

Should have looked more closely at this pic taken early August:

Size+of+D_+Indica+middle-aged.JPG

wow! Breathtaking! Nice growing as always.

Where can I get one?! Seems well fit for my climate...

These things grow quickly :)

DSC00007.JPG

Yes, very true!

D. indica is now officially a weed. I have distributed seeds to all kinds of people..and I have it comming up EVERYWHERE! I have no need for the hundreds I'll be getting soon! Man, those seeds travel short distances really well.

Two months later, I'm getting my first flower!

89252e41.jpg

These weren't grown from seed (by me, at least) - they hitched a ride across the country as seedlings growing out of a clump of Utric.

SDCPs - I'll have you know that I also had phenomenal success germinating your seeds - they are by far the fastest germinating and fastest growing seeds I've seen!

Mine are almost a foot tall now that you gave me SDCP and i planted all of the D. indica seeds that you gave me in one three inch pot and i made a mistake they are so bunched up really big sundew as a matter of fact i think it is one of the biggest sundews isn't it? It is the biggest of my sundews. But yes you have to try getting some seeds or something it is a COOL plant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two months later, I'm getting my first flower!

89252e41.jpg

These weren't grown from seed (by me, at least) - they hitched a ride across the country as seedlings growing out of a clump of Utric.

SDCPs - I'll have you know that I also had phenomenal success germinating your seeds - they are by far the fastest germinating and fastest growing seeds I've seen!

Yes, this is a weed. A cool weed; but nicer than capensis because they are easy to dispose of if unwanted...even when well developed.

The seeds will germinate in crazy conditions as long as it is warm. Thanks for sharing pics of the hitchikers, and congrats on the flower! Don't worry if it doesn't produce seed. I've heard of plants grown indoors as having poor seed set ???

Mine are almost a foot tall now that you gave me SDCP and i planted all of the D. indica seeds that you gave me in one three inch pot and i made a mistake they are so bunched up really big sundew as a matter of fact i think it is one of the biggest sundews isn't it? It is the biggest of my sundews. But yes you have to try getting some seeds or something it is a COOL plant.

Yes, you made a horrible mistake :p ! 3" pot :crazy: But don't stress, their root systems are small.

Well, it is very large, but sundews like D. giagantea and D. regia are bigger.

If anybody wants seeds go to the ICPS seedbank and support them! There is plenty for all.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that thier roots systems are small i need to repot because thier roots are almost craking the pot to come out and there coming out the bottom of the pot.

I wouldn't say that thier roots systems are small i need to repot because thier roots are almost craking the pot to come out and there coming out the bottom of the pot.

Oh, Ok. I just said that becuase the dying plants I pulled up had very small root systems, but that might have been because their time was short.

Also, we are speaking relatively. My idea of small might be different from yours. Pics?

Wow EOU, your's are huge! My single one is still a baby!

Like i said they are 11 inches tall well at least one of them are they are almost a foot high.

Ahh, some fine D. indica specimins.

Just for clarification, the tape measure said 9" about according to the picture. However, you must remember to deduct that 3" height of the pot.

My largest D. indica reached 10.5" in height measured from the base of the soil. The plant was in full sun in August.

As to the root system, I still think them relatively small in comparison to other drosera (shucks, even pygmies beat D. indica!)

Thank you very much for sharing pictures! :D

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

That plant I mentioned is in this pic:

Size+of+D_+Indica+middle-aged.JPG

Hey i just went to go check on my D. indicas and one was blooming for the first time! Also yeah my bad i forgot to cut off three inches so yeah 9 inches.

Man, these things are monster growers. I go away on a six-day vacation, come back, and my D. indica are like twice as big:

235922ae.jpg

And you have viable seed! Congrats!!!

Yes, indica is just such a cool dew. It's even surviving your "grimreaperness" (You said you killed many Cps!)

Really, I can't get over this plant. So, I wrote a poem about it:

I once owned a very large dew,
The largest of flies were no match,
It glistened and gleaned in the sunlight,
And beetles it'd reg'larly snatch.

This dew started out really small,
but these bugs helped it grow really tall,
on neglect and bad care it would thrive;
sans water it nev'r ceased to strive.

The dew reached max. size in late fall,
was noted most 'silient of all,
then more sunlight it seemed for to pine,