What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little help..

When and how do I collect dew seeds? ??? I was thinking about how many seeds I've wasted from throwing away dead flower stalks. Think it's about time to end that routine..

wait till they are completely black and crispy, or brown. then cut the stalk. fin a white foam cup or clear cup and shake and geat the hack out the stalk inside the cup. thousands of seeds should fall. at least thats they way i saw it done in sarr north west's tropical dew DVD.

Got it.. thanks guys.

Holy crap I've been wasting a LOT of dew seeds. Just made my first seed collection (tokaiensis, and binata var. dichotoma 'Giant'), and I am amazed at how many seeds there are. Just thinking back to all of these stalks I've cut and tossed, dumb dumb DUMB!! :headwall:
Well, I've got a feeling the fridge will be full in no time with seeds in cold strat. Keep an eye open for the SASE's in the upcoming months.

i thought dichotoma was sterile... is it not?

*edited for clarity*
Millipede, they aren't sterile, but the D. binata var. dichotoma 'Giant' that mass has is not self-fertile- here's a quote under the flower section-
Many forms of D. binata (ie D. binata var. multifida, D. binata var. dichotoma 'Giant' and D. binata 'Marston Dragon') are not capable of self-pollinating and a genetically different plant must be used in order to obtain seeds. However, there are several location forms of D. binata var. dichotoma from New Zealand that are capable of self-pollinating (ICPS).

However, if you got seeds, then you must've had 2 genetically different plants in that crowded pot?

Last edited:
However, if you got seeds, then you must've had 2 genetically different plants in that crowded pot?

Correct! You get a gold star and a nice shiney nickel.. :-O

The D. binata I have is self-fertile. I started out with one plant now it's all over my outdoor area. The self-fertile plants are more common and wide-spread than you would be led to believe from what you read. People just keep repeating what Peter D'Amato wrote over 10 years ago.

Never assume that anything you read regarding the cultivation is Gospel Truth, it seldom is. Everyone has a different touch with growing and different conditions. Experiment and most importantly report your failures as well as your success stories.

I've edited my previous post- thanks for catching my unintended blanket statement! :)
I was referring only to the D. binata var. dichotoma 'Giant' that mass has and forgot I left off the 'Giant'. I've also made that more clear on the site now, as well.

Mass- Awesome, I've always wanted one of those gold stars! Can I send you a sase for it?

lol.. Gold stars are free of charge. They come with a complimentary stamped envelope. :-D

Back