What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever see a drosera umbrella?!?!?

This is a first for me.. Found this at a local nursery for $2.
1. I didn't know dews could be propagated from flower stalks.
2. Anyone have a clue on the sp.? I'm thinking rotundifloia? ???

100_5500.jpg

100_5498.jpg

100_5499.jpg

100_5501.jpg

100_5497.jpg

:-D That's such a perfect little umbrella-plantlet!
No idea what it is, but I can't wait to see how amazing it does with you!

In venus flytraps the term is false vivipary. I am guessing the same term applies here but I could be wrong. There could be another biological mechanism in place that is causing this.

Woah! That's sweet. Could it be spatulata or is there a distinguishable difference between the two that I'm missing?

I'd say spatulata also...but that plant isn't too happy. Give it some light!

I'd say spatulata also...but that plant isn't too happy. Give it some light!

way ahead of ya bud.. that was the first thing I did. We'll get this thing a nice red color before too long!!

I also think spatulata. I have had this happen before. It is rare to happen, but fairly common in CP's. Helis will also sometimes get growth on flower stalks. You can propagate from flower stalks but it is much harder then leaves so no one really does it. I have a feeling this is some what caused by the fact this plant was most likely a TC plant. Some left over abundance of growth hormones. Just a guess not based on fact.

That's Cool / Never Seen That Before

Yay! False vivipary on a D.spatulata~

ive seen it in a different Drosera and it was likely a different mechanism that caused it since mine was a climbing tuberous.......no clue what caused it cause another grower and i have both observed it and have observed it happening in both seed grown and TC plants.....Drosera zigzagia

IMG_7391.jpg

the plant on the left is normal growth, the right is the rosette/umbrella the plants can get alot taller this is just the only pic showing a good comparison.....

that is a very cool find. The local stores dont tend to carry very many dews. I would love to find something like that. Are you seeing roots fromt he umbrella growth yet.

A fine example of false vivipary (if it is false, I'm not too sure on that)! I believe this is Drosera tokaiensis, which is a natural hybrid Drosera spatulata x D. rotundifolia. The process usually happens on the flower scape and happens when the bud sepals become modified. If I recall correctly it's the sepals that are actually modified leaves, formed as a result of developmental inhibition. It can also happen anywhere where a leaf scale occurs, like at the stem axils in Rattler's tuberous example. I've seen it in Drosera sessilifolia and several of the pygmy species. I can't remember if roots form naturally in the process. Very nice plant you have there!

Back