What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Drosera adelae (Lowe's Purchase)

TheFury,
I'm not sure why the leaves are turning brown like that... did any of the roots get torn or something?
The new growth looks more promising though.
Also, is it possible to move the lights any closer or are they already close? When growing under T-8s or T-12s, the more the better, especially when under the humidity cover, since it blocks a certain percentage of the light. I had mine about 2-3 inches above mine when I got it (before I took it out of the cube) and the leaves started to develop red tentacles within 2-3 weeks. Also, the extra warmth helps too.

Not that I know of! I was very gentle with them!

I can definitely get the plant a little closer to the lights, but they're about 7" below them as is. And the lights are T5s so they run a little hotter than 8s or 12s. But at this point I'll try anything!

well, with T-5s I might not be as concerned. Only other thing I could guess is that it might just be adjusting to its new media. But, if you eventually get good-looking new growth, then you shouldn't worry. For now, it's all about letting the plant adjust, so I think you're on the right track. I wouldn't want you to scorch your D. adelae, so maybe you can move the lights closer once it starts developing normal leaves again, and gets red tentacles, etc...

But I think your plant should do fine. The old growth looks like it should carry it through well. And the baby is always nice to have as a backup!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all! Sorry for the delay in responses, but the Army has been keeping me very busy the few days. So, thank you all very much for the replys. The Fury - Glad to hear the Plantlets are popping up!

Question, How do Drosera do in Washington State? South of Tocoma area.

Thought I would update the progress of my Drosera with a couple pics taken tonight.

2010-10-23_23-29-36_897.jpg

Dinner :)
2010-10-23_23-28-01_982.jpg

Looking good Dave! Here's one of mine under a T5 light this past spring:

Adelae2010_3Flowers2.jpg

Very nice Tommyr!!! Mine is really starting to look up once I moved it into the greenhouse. Will snap some pics tomorrow.

Wow that's a nice looking plant. I can't wait until I get some flowers out of mine...

I think I realized what was causing my D. adelae to decline so rapidly. I posted another thread about this in the Greenhouse/terrarium board. Turns out that the sand I had used to mix up my last batch of media was absolutely packed with carbonate minerals (it failed the white vinegar test that I neglected to perform last time I mixed my media). Being that these plants are particularly sensitive to chemicals in the soil, my D. adelae probably took quite a bit of offense at this.

I repotted it last night but I fear I was too late. Luckily, my local Lowes just got a new shipment of death cubes so I can always make a fresh start!

Looking forward to seeing your perky sundew, Dave. You started things off the right way!

Just goes to show - every Drosera counts. :bigthumpup:

Looking good Dave!

I especially like them after they've attained a nice dark red coloration when growing under strong light and planted in a peat moss/redwood bark mix:
D_adelae_003.jpg

It looks kinda like blood.

Last edited:
I have a small tub of them under a T5 light that are a nice red as well. I love them Red or green! Prolific babu makers! Nearly "idiot" proof.

the redder the bedder! :p
coming along nicely, Dave and I hope your round 2 works out better, Fury!

So far so good :) I must have shocked the roots on the last one. The new one is much nicer lookin' :)

Back