What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Drosera adelae (Lowe's Purchase)

I have removed it from the cube but kept it in its original media and pot. Thus causing less stress hopefully (after tips on here).
I have it in a dish of water and on my desk under a 6500K CFL light. It does have dew on it although not red. I am told it is a Drosera adelae. I am, as always, ready for any thoughts, criticism, or education. I really like this guy. Very cool.

Oh, how do I get all the dirt off of it? Crazy Death Cube.

Here is how I have it currently set up.
2010-10-15_21-32-35_573.jpg

Thanks as always!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always had the experience that the D. adelae from Lowes are sensitive to RH change so you may want to put a zip lock baggie over the plant and cut a new hole in the baggie every couple days. It'd go ahead and repot it in peat/sand 50:50 as most of the time you'll have mold in the sphagnum. Also be sure not to blast it with lights, D. adelae is one of those weird dews that doesn't like too much light; it'll burn. Once it gets acclimated to a bit more light it'll get the red tentacles.
Good luck! Hope this helps :)

Thanks French, as always.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Couldn't resist....Hey, the tiny spider came into my house :-))

2010-10-15_22-36-51_921.jpg

the state that your plant is in right now, the tentacles might be too weak to capture the spider due to not enough dew....i could be wrong though. :)

Not sure if it will curl up on it or not, but it is stuck :banana2:

Tried a little larger moth-like bug and it would not stick em hard enough. Was a thought though haha

Do you all recommend the freeze dried worms?

Well, it will probably go into shock because of the new environment. Just make sure to keep the soil wet and give it lots of humidity to prevent it from drying out. Drosera adelae loves high humidity but can tolerate lower humidity if conditions are correct.

Here's mine growing outdoors on my patio with partial sunlight:
DroseraAdelae1.jpg

That is a very nice looking Drosera! I hope mine is ok. The only thing I have done is removed it from the cube, placed it in a tray of water and top watered it with a spray.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

2010-10-16_14-55-55_413.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

What is the best way to get the dirt off of it from being in the cube?

I actually picked up a very similar death cube D. adelae last weekend. It looks about like yours does - no dew, no color. I repotted mine and separated some of the plantlets that came growing around the base of the plant. They're mostly dead now. D'oh!

To get the dirt off, I used a pressure sprayer bottle. You can get those at Lowes, etc. for about $6. They spray a nice gentle mist that can coax some of that dirt loose.

Was thinking of re-potting it in new LFS, but your post scares me now. No offense.

Do you mean the plantlets died or the whole plant?

I wouldn't worry about the dirt on leaves. New leaves will grow and replace the dirty ones

Was thinking of re-potting it in new LFS, but your post scares me now. No offense.

Do you mean the plantlets died or the whole plant?

Naw, just the plantlets. Looks like I jumped the gun on that one. Oh well!

The main plant isn't looking any worse than it was on day 1. I've heard people recommend repotting into peat/perlite or peat/sand, or at least some better quality LFS than the shwag that those plants are growing in now!

Well, I have been doing ALOT of reading from different websites and have decided to do the following.
I have re-potted it in 100% LFS.

I am glad I did this! It was shoved in a very small pot and the roots were all balled up. I was able to rinse them with Rain Water and get them untangled. One was VERY long. I made the divit in the pot very deep to accomidate this root and the others, then gently pushed the LFS around the Drosea.

I hope I did the right thing. It has to be.

2010-10-16_16-12-31_460.jpg

Looking good! If you haven't read this yet, check out the D. adelae recovery guide. That site is run by a very friendly and helpful guy who frequents these forums - I believe his name here is CPlantaholic but I could be wrong.

Looking good! If you haven't read this yet, check out the D. adelae recovery guide. That site is run by a very friendly and helpful guy who frequents these forums - I believe his name here is CPlantaholic but I could be wrong.

I have read and re-read that site. Very good info there! Thank you for sharing though.

So, I just got back from the pet store where I purchased and fed it some crushed up Freeze Dried Blood worms :-D Hope he likes it!

That's what I feed my guys too! Great stuff. Too bad it smells like death...

Here's the state my D. adelae is in right now. Notice how there are no plantlets in the soil around it - they've all died :headwall:

DSC03576.JPG

Still alive and that counts for alot when they come from Lowe's :) Looks like it is getting some dew back on it. I am going to use the baggie method and every few days cut a hole in it to acclimate it to lower humidity. Hope it works!

So, I am very happy so far with my Drosera responses to the re-potting. I am also glad that I did the baggie option since it was in the cube. It is doing well. The one leaf that was curled up has almost extended all the way. Would take a pic, but the baggie don't help haha. Will try later. I am moving it between artificial light and sunlight from my window in the office. I actually feel good about its survival.

Flake fish-food works well too, EverDave, thats what i feed my pings and sundews.

You know, every single D. adelae I've tried has died, and I am not quite sure why. But seeing this really makes me want to try it again!

Yeah I was going to do the flake fish food, but wasn't sure if it was as good. We will try the bloodworms. Get alot of them in that tiny container lol. Here is a pic where you can plainly see the once curled up leaf now extended. I am so proud haha

2010-10-17_22-17-07_513.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Tomorrow I will cut a small hole in the baggie to lower the humidity slowly.

Man, I tell you what, I wish I could say mine was in as good shape as yours is, Dave. It lost all its dew, some older leaves are starting to turn brown, and the new growth that was happening when I first got the plant has stopped and is also turning brown. D'oh!!! I do see a small plantlet coming up from the base of the larger plant (looks like I didn't kill all of them after all!) so hopefully it can carry on through its children, lol.

Back