What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding seedlings

So, I have a -ton- of D. capensis and D. capensis 'Red' seedlings growing. My question is: should I feed them as soon as they start dewing (which they are) and, if so, with what and how? Insects are out of the question this time of year (wild ones, at least). I have freeze-dried bloodworms and tubifex worms that I can grind up. I worry, though, about over-applying and causing a mold infestation. I've considered keeping a colony of wingless fruit flies and maybe even of crickets for use with all my plants, but I fear even those (the flies or freshly-hatched crickets) might be too big for seedlings.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I never fed my zillion capensis sprouts.. and now I have 1000's of flowering GIANTS!!

It's true, they wont die without feeding, however...

If you throw some of those bloodworms on the leaves (you can do it at any size), they will appreciate it and grow markedly faster and bigger. Not like that would be a problem anyway.

LOL, I know they are weeds as it is, but I'd like them to be moderately sized by this spring so I can start giving them to people without having to include a magnifying glass. Should I not be worried about mold, though? Or do I just need to be super careful about how much I apply?

(This whole endeavor is going to be tedious, oh man. I just realized that. There are literally hundreds of plants. Meticulously hand-feeding each one a very specific amount might be quite the undertaking. But I'm up for trying it!)

Back