What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. "Carbarup" flowering now?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've got several varieties of pygmy sundews and none but D. "Carbarup" are inclined to flower. I thought it was one plant from the colony, but thre are now 3 of them? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
100_8690.jpg

A few of the other species / cultivars are sending up scapes. Is it normal to flower in the summer; produce gemmae in the fall; and flower again in the winter?

None of my two pygmies-lake badgerup and Ericksoniae x Pulchella-are flowering.
Making gemmae though. I actually thought my LB was dead, till today I noticed a few gemmae sprouts.

my plants seem to produce gemmae/flower whenever they please...
i ended up with about 600 Sp. Carbarup gemmae about 3 months ago.....got about 30 into the spot then accidentally spilled the others amongst my nep pots...
needless to say i did that same thing with D. rosea, and there are numerous random dews around my growspace now haha

As I recall, there were a number of pygs that flowered at the darkest part of the year, and also did it in the long days of summer. I also got gemmae from some of them during the longest days of summer, and had flowers in summer from gemmae sown the previous winter. Like many Aussies, some of these just do as they please and don't follow the rules the other species follow...or so it appears. The fact is, in the harsh Australian conditions, evolution depended on real survival qualities and the genes that allowed for better seed set and gemmae production led to this species success, and were conserved. Cacti have nothing on pygmy sundews for surviving harsh conditions, these little plants are some of the strongest on earth!

LOL! Does that mean my plants are trying to tell me something?

100_8694.jpg
Winter D. pulchella

LOL! Good! I thought it was their last ditch effort of survival!

Back