What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orthene (Acephate) has suffered the fate of all organo-phosphate based insecticides - usage has been banned. I haven't checked its status recently but it was available (probably stocks on hand) for limited commercial/agricultural use. All consumer level products were pulled from the shelves a couple years ago. You might be able to find it online in bulk quantities (concentrates). You might even find an online store that will ship it to you illegally as a few suppliers put the responsibility on the buyer to check if it is legal to ship to your state. I would avoid doing business with such sources.

A good place to check on the status of a pesticide is http://www.pesticideinfo.org/

I'm not familiar with "AllExperts"

AllExperts is a place that usually ends up high on my list of Google search results for various carnivorous plant-related posts. I believe Jeff Dallas from Sarracenia Northwest, among others, frequently answer questions of posters. Here is where I got my info about Ortho pesticide. This post is from July of this year.

I just picked up some Green Light brand fruit tree spray. The ingredients are:
0.25% pyrethrins
2.5% piperonyl butoxide, technical
70% clarified hydrophobic neem oil extract
27.25% "other ingredients"

Any opinions about whether this should go on my plants? I've read various places that Green Light brand pesticide with neem oil & pyrethrines is OK to use on carnivorous plants, but I'm not sure if they were talking about this product specifically.

One method I dont see used much anymore, and has always worked for me, is submerging the infected plant for a few days in pure water, making sure the top of the plant is completely under water, and using some form of small weight to keep the pot down... Has always worked for me on hardy dews, vfts, and sarras.... Just because the risk of damage with pesticides is far greater than dunking/submerging the plants... D. capensis can take it no prob...

Last edited by a moderator:
SirKristoff - interesting method. I should have tried that, for sure. In the end I just blasted my plants repeatedly with this stuff:

313130363233_0.jpg

I focused so much on my D. capensis that I didn't realize the critters had spread to multiple pots - D. nidiformis, D. scorpioides in particular. The first round of treatment knocked out a good portion of the population, but they were still lingering for a while. So a few weeks ago I nuked all of my plant trays. A big, hearty dousing with the spray for all my plants. And then I did another last weekend. The plants look a little pissed off about it, but none show signs of catastrophic distress. And the aphids seem to be gone for now.

Me: 1 - Aphids: 0.

And gill_za - good research there! Yes, I was using ZooMed Flora Sun bulbs along with my Cool White bulbs. They give off a very pink hue. I guess they work OK. I got nice color on my plants for sure, though I have no basis for comparison since those lights were purchased as part of my very first growing setup. But a few days ago after only a few months of use, one of the bulbs blew out! :censor: the damn things are like $18 a pop, so you better believe I'm not going back to ZooMed! Not worth it.

And the aphids seem to be gone for now.

Me: 1 - Aphids: 0.
I recommend continued vigilance. Many of these pests are incredibly tenacious. It only takes one lone female aphid to restart the cycle as they don't even need males to reproduce .... :0o:

Hey SirKristoff - or anyone else who's tried it - will the submersion method work on a Ping, too, or will it not appreciate being wet for so long?

It seems a few tiny white things have taken a liking to some of my P. "Titan" :censor:

Back