What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for particular Drosera binata clone

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Many years ago I obtained a clone of a plant called, Drosera binata var. dichotoma and recently I have been nostalgic for a clone with similar attributes to those I remember. All clones I've seen recently have not had these same traits.

The plant I'm looking for had predominantly green leaves (with no red or pink), no matter how brightly lit. Its leaves forked twice, having almost always four points to its mature leaves. The tentacles were a soft golden yellow color. The petioles and lamina of the leaves were very stiff and strong, remaining upright except when wet or grown in low light levels. The flower stalks were strong and tall (1/3 again taller than the plant), and had 1/2" diameter white flowers. I'm not sure where this clone has disappeared to, but I would really like to get it back into my cultivation.

If anyone has seen this clone or knows where I might locate it, please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited:
I wish you luck in your search! I, sadly, cannot help :cry:

I grow 3 clones that meet that description. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to be able to help you out.

Seandew,
Do you have any photos, you could post here? Seeing them again can help me with my longing. It may also help others to visualize what I am describing. I don't seem to be able to locate any photo's of this particular form.

Also, anyone having this, if you could post what name yours is known to you as, that could help, too.

Last edited:
Hey Joseph,
The only plant in my collection that vaguely resembles your description is D. binata var. dichotoma 'Giant' but I'm guessing yours may have been a bit different.
When I fed mine regularly, they met your description. However, when I don't feed them for over 2-3 months, they do start to develop red coloration...
And I have yet to see it flower- I haven't treated it very well for the past 2 years, and it is in about 2 inches of media right now...extremely root bound.

Sorry I can't help you out more....

Here are a few pics:
in a greenhouse, where it catches a few insects every so often:
dichotoma_Giant.JPG

to get really intimate with this plant, here's the 2 megabyte original file:
http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/binata/dichotoma_Giant_original.JPG

with red coloration after not feeding for about 3 months or so:
Dichotoma_Giant_Drosera_binata_var.JPG

Thanks CPlantaholic,
Very nice Drosera binata. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Yours has a very similar size and shape to the one I remember, but the one I'm looking for never had any red in the leaves in any conditions, and the tentacles are a light yellow-golden color. Also, the six points to your red leaf would never occur on the plant I'm thinking of - it really never had more than four points to any leaves.

Last edited:
Hey Joseph. This clone sounds a lot like what you're talking about. It's an old, crappy picture, but the stems and leaves are green & yellow and only a little bit of red at the tip of the tentacles.

p1000163_crop.jpg

I got several of them from a Canadian source about a year ago, and they were identified as dichotoma 'Giant.'

Back