What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Drosera capensis

My drosera capensis grew pretty well since it was rescued 6 months ago. however because of the rain, the capensis was submerged in cold water for 2 weeks. 2 days ago, I dug it out and moved it indoors. now it gets light in a window. However the days are overcast. Is there a way to give it light. Also I stick it inside my 100watt lamp shade when I am studying. The temps inthe lamp are moderate. I plan to do this until the bad weather goes away. Plaese answer quickly.???

From my time with CPs I've learned that incandescent (normal) lights aren't good for plants. You probably need to go out and purchase a flourescent light strip or at the very least a Compact Flourescent bulb to augment your lighting. Other than that, capensis is a pretty hardy plant and will probably bounce back just fine as long as it's condition don't change drastically too often.

a Compact Flourescent bulb to augment your lighting.
I'll second this. Light is important.

I'll also second that D. capensis is pretty bulletproof. If it literally spent two weeks completely submerged, though, I don't know. That's pretty rough; it might be a bog plant, but it's not aquatic, LOL. But yeah, I'd try to make sure it gets good light and temperatures and I suspect it'll be fine.

I have flourscent lights in my kitchen ceiling. will they work?

Generally, a fluorescent needs to be within (around) a foot of the plant to do any good. Six inches is better. ._.

I think I will just stick it outside and hope the weather gets beter. I think it will work

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

will it work?

To check to see if it is still alive. dump it out of the pot and see if you find any white root tips I have bare rooting some this week and they have long black roots that are dead with one main root that has a white tip on it . if your plant dies from my advice. i will replace it late Mar early April
The ones I have outside have gone dormant and look like they're dead
the ones in my coldframe, still have the leaves with dew very much intact .gets down to about
34* in there
I wouldn't worry about the light too much.
I think it is more overcast here In Sonoma County, than it is down /over your way.

Actually, when I took it out of the bog 3 days ago, I saw white tips of roots. It still is living.

So far the only way I have really killed these guys is neglecting to water them. Even herbicide (gyphosate) drift didn't kill them........

MTF

Back