What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello!
I would like to share some info and pics of my new TC jars. I have had issues with food store grade agar last fall and because several batches shifted the pH of the media several points up, I have lost some cultures. That was the last straw for me and I decided to upgrade my TC work to next level and thwart the drawbacks of using agar.
Although agar (of high quality) can and does perform very well as a gelling agent, the main issue for me was that the gel was not clear enough to see the first sign of contamination early enough. It is vital for the survival of possibly contaminated culture that unaffected tissues are replated asap. Gelrite forms glassy crystal clear gel where even the smallest contamination can be spotted during initiation and the culture can be saved completely.
Another good thing about gelrite is that unlike agar (even purest grade), it does not contain any organic compounds (such as phenolics) and therefore it does not stress replated tissues and they grow without interruption. It does contain some salts but i have not observed negative effects. And last thing is that you need only 1/5th of the amount of agar to form a firm gel:)
Here are some (agar and gelrite) based cultures:

Drosera sp. 'lantau island'
DSCF00032-1.jpg

the same but on gelrite
DSCF0013-2.jpg

D. natalensis
DSCF00072.jpg

a very neglected propagation jar with D. peltata
DSCF0011-3.jpg

D. capensis (i use as a control), a shot through the sheer medium
DSCF0015-2.jpg

D. californica seedlings
DSCF0024.jpg

D. intermedia "Carolina Giant" seedlings
DSCF0016-3.jpg

D. neocaledonica propagation jar
DSCF0020-2.jpg

D. neocaledonica rooting jar
DSCF0022-2.jpg

D. ordensis propagation jar
DSCF00292.jpg

D. ordensis rooting jar (10 days past replating from jar in previous picture)
DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

D. falconeri
DSCF0025-2.jpg

D. hartmeyerorum
DSCF0035.jpg

D. afra
DSCF0042.jpg

Last edited:
^^^What he said!

This is breathtaking...

I wish I had your technology.... and chemicals!

Very nice work, can you share more details of your protocols? Or are they proprietary?

Hi all!

Thank you for nice comments. For most of my TC I use 20-50%MS with some additives (depending on the particular species).

Interesting.. and very clear indeed! In what amount per liter are you using the gelrite??

@Cosmo: The amount depends on strength of the media (concentration of salts). Because mainly bi-valent and also mono-valent salts cause the bonds in gelrite to cross-link and form a gel. For 20%MS you need about 2.4g gelrite per liter, for full MS about 1.0g (at pH=5.7).

Back