What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LFSM? I didn't think that was the best D. regia growing medium ???

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems that LFS does work pretty well when germinating D. regia from seed: http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=drosera&thread=4537&page=1#27996

I also grow my D. 'Big Easy' in a mix of LFS and cypress mulch, as suggested by Joseph Clemens:
Drosera_regia_Big_Easy_post.JPG

But I grow my "typicals" in peat:sand with equal success, so it doesn't really seem to matter once you get them established.

Last edited by a moderator:
LFSM? I didn't think that was the best D. regia growing medium ???
If you're referring to my pic, there is ~ 1/4-3/8" of microwaved & Trichoderma-treated LFS on top of a peat/LFS/aps/sand/cypress bark media mix. The 'treated' LFS layer has been the best way I have found to give seedlings a good start vs moss & fungus attacks. When done correctly. the top layer will not have any invasive foreign growth for months or longer.

As for the 'best D. regia growing medium' for adult D. regia, I haven't noticed significant differences in growth with assorted types of media nor have I seen a clear consensus from others.

@RL7836: Wow! What measures you've taken to ensure success. I hope it doesn't elude you ;)

As for myself, I sowed my D. regia seed outside...I seem to have the most successs there. Of course the sprouting time is greatly prolonged :(

"With Malice toward none, [and] charity for all," I post this message.

What does everyone think about a terra cotta pot? The reason I ask is because due to evaporation at the exterior of the pot, it's supposed to help keep the roots cool, similar to how sweat cools us down. Has anyone tried this?

What does everyone think about a terra cotta pot? The reason I ask is because due to evaporation at the exterior of the pot, it's supposed to help keep the roots cool, similar to how sweat cools us down. Has anyone tried this?

Warm roots don't seem to be a problem with D. regia. I think a terra cotta pot would waste too much water. But that's my two cents.

Not trying to interrupt the discussion, but I thought it would be as good a place as any to ask:

Does anyone know where we can find D. regia for sale? Besides e-bay. I've looked through all my resources and can't find any available now.

Thanks!

You're not supposed to ask for sources on Terraforums! D. regia generally sell out very quickly when they are rarely available.

@Dexenthes - Sorry for the poor etiquette! If anyone does know, I would appreciate a PM.

Mods - please edit my post if needed. Thanks!

@Kula - Thanks for the link.

I was checking out an older thread about Drosera regia, noticed my image links were broken, so I fixed them. My images in that thread were Drosera regia 'Big Easy', but it was before the cultivar was registered. I updated the images and repaired the links. Back then I was also busy propagating these delightful plants. Hopefully I can get that going again. Here is a tray of little ones from back then (the image is a link to a thread about propagating Drosera regia 'Big Easy' -->

Wow! What a collection. For all of our sakes, let's hope you continue growing like that! Thank you for sharing.

I sowed 24 seeds on Jan 14 and had 21 sprouts on Feb 2. Great germination imo. Thanks to whoever donated fresh, viable seeds to the seedbank! :hail:

Now comes the part that has been historically difficult for me - keeping them alive ... :0o:

Not much to see - but here they are (2.5" pot):
Dregiaseedlings020411RS21.jpg
Knock on wood, they're all still growing well (blurry pic from a week ago):
Dregiaseedlings031311RS.jpg

NICE!! That's awesome!

Knock on wood, they're all still growing well (blurry pic from a week ago):
Dregiaseedlings031311RS.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAH Your a pro! you gotta hook me up with one of those gems!!!!!! ;)

Last edited:
I was checking out an older thread about Drosera regia, noticed my image links were broken, so I fixed them. My images in that thread were Drosera regia 'Big Easy', .....
Joseph,
When you propagated them, you started with extremely wet conditions. What was your approximate timetable for weaning them off of soggy media & ultra-humid environment as they matured? Were there any specific milestones (certain size, etc) when you changed parameters?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
you gotta hook me up with one of those gems!!!!!! ;)
..... and why would that be?:scratch:

:lol::-)):D

..... and why would that be?:scratch:

:lol::-)):D
Why d o you think?
because they are sooo cooL!!!!!!! And you did such a good job propagating them ;) ;)

LOL Now i actually have 2 regia big easy plants that are grpowing really fast.. Are yours big easy

No, his are from ICPS seed.

Cheers,

Joe

Back