What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera aff. ordensis flower

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
_IGP8746a.jpg

_IGP8748a.jpg

I have four species of the petiolaris complex flowering this month. Unfortunately the second D. paradoxa I had croaked soon after starting to come out of dormancy, so all I can do is make hybrids.

yeah---aint that a pain....yours are starting to come out of dormancy?---mine is doing something....growth is starting to pick up again....

dont know if this is true, but i heard paradoxa is the only one in the petiolaris complex that can self. is it true? if so, you might be able to still make paradoxa.

I thought wooly sundews could be kept without dormancy year-round if they were kept wet and hot?

@exo: true. you can---but in certain species, if you do not provide them a dormancy, they do not provide you with flowers.

I got a couple plants last year that were dormant. I wanted to have different genetics within the species I have. Mine haven't gone dormant but there's no sure fired way to keep them from going dormant. I may have watered them too much too soon but in my experience peitolaris will crash for no apparent reason at any time.

good luck to you NaN....especially with all the AG3 TC clones drifting around---it's going to be hard to get seed grown lanata, falconeri, and kennellyii, maybe even fulva too.

The D. paradoxa I have and the one I obtained are/were both seed grown.

Paradoxa seems to bloom for me without any dormancy. But the others I need to shock them. move them out to where it is cool them move them back inside....

Mine just sit in my tropical tank indoors all year round. They usually start to flower Dec through June. The D. aff. ordensis will flower for 6-8 months, the others 2-4 months. I do not vary the photoperiod on the tank lights so they must get their environmentmental cues from the ambient temperature changes and sunlight coming in from the windows. I do not heat the tank at night.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Here's some more photos of the D. aff. ordensis flower (white) and D. paradoxa flowers (pink). I pluck off the petals and rub the anthers against the stigma. Removing the petals makes this easier and is less time consuming and demanding than plucking off the anthers. It also gives me more working time as the flowers between species open and close often at different times of the day. (colors may not have been corrected in all the photos)

_IGP8153a.jpg

_IGP8157a.jpg

_IGP8206.jpg

_IGP8208.jpg

That's really cool. It's too bad you can't make some Seed-grown species, but I bet the hybrids will be plenty impressive. :)

I'm working on it. Since I grew the one D. paradoxa I have from seed I should be able to get seed with most any other D. paradoxa even the overcloned Mt. Boomford. I just noticed a seedling in my colony of D. petiolaris but I don't know if it is a stray of some other species or one of by previous hybridizations.

Nice, crisp pictures!

Back