What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera roundandstickya

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
Just got its first feeding in and it's starting to look healthy. :) Still not sure what it is though, I'm guessing D. spatulata.

DSCN5781.jpg

DSCN5785.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have an overhead shot?

Yeah I added one.

I just realized that the glam shot didn't really describe the plant very well. :p

I'm gonna guess, Drosera dielsiana or maybe Drosera natalensis.

Cool! I guess when the flower opens up, will that be more telling?

And since it appears that almost no one actually has a Drosera dielsiana, would go with Drosera natalensis.

And since it appears that almost no one actually has a Drosera dielsiana, would go with Drosera natalensis.

Really? I have somethings labeled as d. dielsiana. I have been comparing it to natalensis for a while. It seems different:

1. It forms clumps readily. I planted one plant and now there are 4
  2. It doesn't shrink after blooming if not fed.

Could this be the real thing?

SDCPs, here are 2 posts by NaN that were helpful to me: http://terraforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=989560&postcount=10
and http://terraforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=989606&postcount=12
The honeycomb seed diagnosis will work well for you, since you usually have plenty of seeds on hand ;).

It's from this thread:
http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124191&highlight=dielsiana

There are actually a lot of different D. natalensis forms that behave very differently.
I traded 2 people for D. dielsiana, and they both turned out to be the same form of D. natalensis...
But it can be a lot harder to judge, since it appeared like massmorrel's dielsiana was actually the real deal, since its crown/the back of the leaf lamina wasn't pillose.

Excellent links Plantaholic. So it would appear that it is likely D. natalensis?

I've been growing it for almost two years now. :0o:

Ian, the seed you sent me was definitely fusiform, not ovoid. D. dielsiana seed should be ovoid according to the type descriptions. I recently obtained some seed from what is supposed to be the Mozambique D. dielsiana but it was fusiform also. Tamlin has been in contact with Dr. Gibson and may be able to add to the mystery.

Ian, the seed you sent me was definitely fusiform, not ovoid. D. dielsiana seed should be ovoid according to the type descriptions. I recently obtained some seed from what is supposed to be the Mozambique D. dielsiana but it was fusiform also. Tamlin has been in contact with Dr. Gibson and may be able to add to the mystery.

You remember! No, it isn't ovid. Please let me know what comes of this!

SDCPs, here are 2 posts by NaN that were helpful to me: http://terraforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=989560&postcount=10
and http://terraforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=989606&postcount=12
The honeycomb seed diagnosis will work well for you, since you usually have plenty of seeds on hand ;).

It's from this thread:
http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124191&highlight=dielsiana

There are actually a lot of different D. natalensis forms that behave very differently.
I traded 2 people for D. dielsiana, and they both turned out to be the same form of D. natalensis...
But it can be a lot harder to judge, since it appeared like massmorrel's dielsiana was actually the real deal, since its crown/the back of the leaf lamina wasn't pillose.

Ah ok. I've actually been trying to root out the other natalensis form. In this case I will leave it and be content with two genetically different sets of D. natalensis seedlings! So until I get further info from NaN, I will assume mine is D. natalensis, two clones.

It's flowering! Does this help solidify an ID at all?

DSCN5826.jpg

Hi,

that plant is most likely D. natalensis. It looks like the form we know from cultivation, that is (wrongly) spread as D. dielsiana. As for D. dielsiana, it seems that it is not yet widely grown, though it seems to be in cultivation. I have grown many plants i got as D. dielsiana and they all turned out to be D. natalensis. I think, there is a lot of work needed to convince people from changing the species name on their plants! Everything, that has fusiform seeds as well as divided styles should not be called D. dielsiana! The flower has divided styles, so it is not D. dielsiana. I am almost sure, that the seeds are not egg shaped. How is the scape emerging? Straight or does it form a curve at the base of the plant?

Christian

The scape curves from the base of the plant.

If it is natalensis than I will most definitely label it as such! Assuming that it is a self-fertile species, I will have some seeds soon. :)

I just received this plant as a D. dielsiana:

100_9127.jpg

LOL! I have D. roundandstickia officially included in my grow list!

It should also be noted that a few of the type descriptions mention that D. dielsiana in cultivation the flowers rarely open. So if the flowers open that decreases significantly the likelihood of the plant being D. dielsiana.

I was a little surprised by how little time the flower remained open. It opened probably 3 hours before it closed.

Hi,

my current understanding is, that it is really hard, maybe even impossible to distinguish between D. dielsiana and D. natalensis without the flowers and the seeds. The rosettes seem to be almost the same.

I wouldn't take account of the fact, that ther is sometimes written, that flowers of D. dielsiana only rarely open in cultivation. Maybe, they have just been badly cultivated? I can't imagiine, that D. dielsiana behaves different in this respect than the other south african Drosera. They all do open the flower only if the conditions are right and only for a few hours.

Christian

Back