What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here I report what has happened in my test jars filled with gelrite-gelled media and some species, apx. 1 month growth on such medium:

First, here is my control jar of weedy d.capensis. The proliferative growth shows that the composition of the medium should be fine for common drosera:
DSCF0024-1.jpg

Drosera burmannii "Humpty Doo"
DSCF0009-4.jpg

Drosera sp. Lantau Island . This species I have on regular peat/sand mix as well. It is a very easy species and grows fine, but in vitro it produces enormously large plants, I have never seen on regular substrate:
DSCF0016-4.jpg

Drosera neocaledonica started to form hairy roots spontanneously
DSCF0018-3.jpg

Drosera ordensis (very hairy form). Grows very fast. I have deflasked about 30 plants and kept this one to see how she will create shoots on 0.7mg/ml BAP
DSCF0005-2.jpg

Now this one surprised me. Drosera arcturi. You can see tens of plantlets being formed on one leaf. The reason why this surprised me is that this species in no way froms shoots easily. And this particular plant is on medium WITHOUT hormones.
DSCF0006-2.jpg

Drosera affinis- growing slower than i expected, I think it is due to absent roots.I noticed some plants are starting to grow tiny roots on hormoneless medium so soon they will really take off;-)
DSCF0013-3.jpg

Species that grows like a salad on this type of media for me is drosera falconeri. I have to replate very often to keep the overcrowded jars managed. Here, 3 experimental jars (no hormones, NAA, BAP):
DSCF0001-3.jpg

Here, drosera afra. Very interesting behaviour in TC. Grows really fast, unlike other species, creates roots spontanneously, and when adult, starts to form clumps of plantlets on the base of the root.
DSCF0036.jpg

When drosera afra is placed on the medium containing small amount of cytokinin, it encourages her proliferation even more. The plant creates plantlets on the leaves as well. Moreover, she forms plants on the tips of the roots as well. Forming plants from the tips of the roots I have seen only with d. peltata species. Note the opening 'bud' on the tip of the root:
DSCF0023-3.jpg

This is my latest achievement that really made my day recently. Although it looks like an ugly piece of shapeless red mass, it is very exciting to watch direct organogenesis from piece of tissue of Drosera ramentacea grow in vitro. I have been trying to do this for some time. Not very pretty, but that is how a successful jar starts. To me beautiful, anyway:)
DSCF0030.jpg

Drosera hartmeyerorum creates extensive root system without induction of auxin
DSCF0002-1.jpg

And here are some darlingtonia californica plantlets growing on medium without hormones:
DSCF0010-4.jpg

Finally, my first nepenthes species:Nepenthes albomarginata seedlings
DSCF0025-3.jpg

...and Nepenthes benstonei seedlings, growing first tiny pitchers
DSCF0029.jpg

Thanx for watching:)

Last edited:
Very cool!

I am so not knowledgeable in tissue culture, it's a little over my head.

What is the solution that the plants are in, mostly water with some specific hormones?

I just don't understand how it works. :scratch:

Very cool.. I wish I had your setup!

Back