What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How big is yours?

I own a D. capensis 'red' that is 11 inches across and 4.5 inches high. I grow it in a souviner glass from rain forest cafe that is about 5 inches deep. lighting is by a cfl just inches from its tip. So how big is your?

My biggest ever was only 6in in diameter....although I don't seem as good at growing the red form as I am at growing other forms of D. capensis.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do ytou measure "diamete" of something thatisnt round? I never understood this.

Circumference is the distance around the perimiter of a circular object, diameter is just the distance across a circular object. Drosera capillaris plants usually grow with radial symetry, where their leaves radiate out from the stem/central growing point, forming a sort-of spherical or cylindrical form.

Just measured it, mine are also 4.5'' inches tall. They're flowering right now. Maybe that's the maximum size. Jack, how intense is the all-red colouration on your plants? I have very powerful lighting but some tentacles are always green, usually the younger ones. My plants never look like THIS for example.

I own a D. capensis 'red' that is 11 inches across and 4.5 inches high. I grow it in a souviner glass from rain forest cafe that is about 5 inches deep. lighting is by a cfl just inches from its tip. So how big is your?

It kindof sounds like you're making this a contest. I hope no ;)

I will say my biggest is 3" in diameter, but its definately not mature. I have 2 clones, and the second one is dime sized, LOL. It just sprounted from cuttings a week ago :D

From the ones I sent? Yours still haven't done anything for me. ;c

Yep! You're the man!

I better edit this before Joseph Clemens sees it ;):

D. dichotoma is very prolific...more so than capensis with cuttings, arguably. Just keep waiting ???

D. binata var. dichotoma is very prolific...more so than capensis with cuttings, arguably. Just keep waiting ???

Last edited:
My red cape sundew is the color of S. leucophylla under the cfl but under other light the color seems redder. Newer leaves are greenish but turn red sooner.

jrl1265

jrl1265

Last edited:
I'm growing up some D. capensis "Giant" from seed. Right now the plants are still juvenile. My larger ones are around 4" diameter. When they mature we will actually see if they are the Giants they claim to be!

My D. adelae is about 6" across. I increased the lighting strength to keep it smaller and redder. I'm not ready for a 12" giant yet.

Here's mine:

100_8602.jpg

and flower:

100_8847.jpg

Mine isn't as big as yours, but I'm happy with it!

Very nice!

Really nice plants, you guys! That is quite large, jack. Looks very happy. Do you always keep that much water in the pot?

Mine usually stays around 7-9 inches in diameter, which is pretty amazing, considering I've neglected it/not fed it for the past year and a half!
Here are a few pics of mine, the second is one that I just got up the other week after 2 years of sitting on my hard drive...:
Capensis_red_color_compare.JPG

Drosera_capensis_Red_flower_flowering_post.JPG

http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/capensis/Red/Drosera_capensis_Red_flower_flowering_large.JPG

Drosera_capensis_red_form.JPG

Last edited:
Seeds... and lots of them! I think the next generation, though, revert back to "typical".

Mine is about 4.5 inches high and 5 inches across. MY D. CAPENSIS TYPICAL.

A quick note on Drosera capensis "red Form": excessive UV does not profit the growth in this form...it encourages deep coloration at the expense of overall size.

A quick note on Drosera capensis "red Form": excessive UV does not profit the growth in this form...it encourages deep coloration at the expense of overall size.

Speaking of, how's your collection going - are you overrun with thousands of small red capensis yet? :-))

Back