What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. peltata question

For me, Drosera auriculata and Drosera peltata were very forgiving for tuberous species. I never really let them dry out completely and they continued to cycle through dormant tuber, rosette and upright stems and flowers for many years. I'm guessing that Pyro is referring to a lack of good lighting as the factor most likely to permit continued rosette formation/persistence without progressing to upright stem production and flowering.

Joseph is mostly correct that I am referring to a lack of good light. The best light for tuberous is as much full sun as you can give them, failing that I found that nothing shy of a 1000W HID gave me even close to satisfactory results (but then, I have high standards so my definition of satisfactory may be different than everyone else.)

As a simple example:

Poor conditions, grown under 4 sets of 2 tube fluorescent fixtures @ 20cm :
Unknowntuberous0916061.jpg

Same plant under 1000W HID and supplemented with sun:
unknownorangetuber20109092.jpg

Do we all see the difference?

That said, there are other factors than light that I found had an impact on tuberous. The density of the soil and what additives were in the soil (perlite = BAD) were two big ones.

I hear ya. I'm hoping someday to try D. squamosa and D. zonaria.

Tough but rewarding species. But trust me when I say to wait until you have a very firm grip on the easy and moderate species before attempting these.

So, not to hijack, but my D. gigantea only put out two little sprouts this year, and they died before the leaves even really started to unfurl. Last year was also a bad year for them; I put them under T5s when stems emerged and I guess burned them before they had a chance to really get going. '09 was spectacular though - they got like three feet tall! I guess now I'm just worried that I've done something wrong and they won't come back. I repotted in late summer and when I did my biggest gigantea tuber had some little root nubs on it, one of which I broke, despite best efforts.
So, anyways, back to the present. My other tuberous dews are doing OK, but gigantea seems to have had a false start, or maybe quit early. X( Should I let it get dry again, or just keep giving it the same conditions as my other tuberous pots? My temperatures are right to make my highland Neps plenty happy. I moved them away from my warmer light sources just in case, but I'm not sure that will be enough.
I seem to remember gigantea getting a late start in the past. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill? This was one of my favorite plants, any help would be much appreciated.
~Joe

Joe,

This is a tough one to answer. D. gig. can be a pill at times. Part of me wants to say that in all likelihood it is nothing and that the tuber will throw a new stolon for you, either later this season or next season. That said... Sprouts dying can sometimes mean the tuber rotted and the rot just followed the path to the surface.

So, you have two paths you can follow at this juncture: 1) You can dump the pot and see what there is to see, running the risk of further damaging any stolons that are forming now and setting the tuber further back. 2) You can let it be and hope for the best. Generally, I always took the latter route when I had pots that did not produce. I usually kept them a bit on the drier side to avoid any chance of rot from excess moisture but still provided enough moisture for if the plant were still growing underground.

I hope the best for you.

Curious, just how many plants can form from a single tuber? This makes 5 plants from 2 tubers thus far..

Depends on the species but generally it is one tuber, one plant. However, the tubers will pop off side shoots that will generate new tubers and hence new plants. D. peltata is known for this, hence its designation as the weed of the tuberous group

And now... some eye candy

stolonifera0201077crop.jpg

P2280013.jpg

P2280004.jpg

P2280007.jpg

P1090042.jpg

P1090035.jpg

*jaw wide open*

Thanks pyro, that's reassuring. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and focus on the ones that are actually growing.
~Joe

I've got seedlings at the moment

100_8764.jpg

D. peltata

100_9366.jpg

D. auriculata

Last edited:
Back