What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

it's time for some hybrids

holy crap! i just found out that capensis can be crossed with aliciae. then i did some googling and found out pretty much all of the south african sundews can be crossed! time to stop clipping the flower stalks and try some pollinating :D

right now i have aliciae, capensis (narrow leaf :( i want a broad leaf ), venusta and nidiformis. since i have some money right now i think im gonna order a slakii.

does anybody know how many crosses have been made or tried and if they were fertile crosses?

Hmm... is natalensis a South African dew? If so, maybe I should send you soem polled :D

I know of a few south african hybrids. I have aliciea x capaneis seedlings right now... I'm pretty sure there is a hybrid of nidiformis and venusta, and venusta x madagascariensis too.

i just ordered a drosera affinis , drosera Sp. pretty rosettes, and a "typical" capensis. (i figured why not. it was only 2.50)

and yeah, a google search reveals that natelinsis is a south african dew :D

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

GAWD! i forgot to order a madagascarensis! next time i guess....

The original page is gone, but still in the Internet Archives. The classic Wayback archive engine is down for maintenance but you can try the beta version:

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20...05.upp.so-net.ne.jp/khelljuhg/all_hybrids.htm

John Brittnacher of the ICPS seedback has started a page on the ICPS website of Drosera hybrids. Refer also to Ivan Snyder's article linked on the page:
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cp/DroseraHybrids.php

John Brittnacher is also compiling a list of self-incompatible Drosera on the ICPS website:
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cp/Self_incompatibility.php

All of these lists are works in progress and should not be considered complete or comprehensive.

If you search either these forums you should find links that I've provided in the past for articles by Fernando Rivadavia giving the chromosome counts many species. Compatible 2n counts will give the likelihood of fertile crosses.

Good luck.

First hurdle:
Getting two species to flower at the same time. The flowers of some species like Drosera trinervia are only open for an hour or less. I'm growing D. glabripes, D. madagascariensis, D. slakii, D. aliciae, D. admirabilis, D. trinervia, D. capensis, D. regia, D. nidiformis and D. venusta. They almost never flower at the same time. D. venusta flowered a month ago. D. trinervia is flowering now.

Second hurdle: almost all the South African species are self-compatible so care must be taken that your crosses do not self-fertilize. Basically this involves removing the anthers on the "female" plant and washing away any pollen. If this is done before the stigma is receptive all the better. Then you can apply the "donor" pollen. This should be done when the stigma is receptive. See either the article section or stickies for an post by Tamlin Dawnstar detailing this method used by Ivan Snyder.

Note: in 2007 I crossed D. aliciae with D. trinervia. Unfortunately I failed to tag the D. trineria flower that received pollen from D. aliciae. I distributed this seed in 2007 and 2008 as D. aliciae or D. trinervia depending on what species the seed capsule was from with a note to look for any plants that stood out as different. I've not heard of any results from these seeds either way.

There is a natural hybrid of D. glabripes and D. aliciae which has been named D. x corinthiaca by Robert Gibson and Eric Green. These have been sold as D. glabripes by one of the Australian nurseries. True D. glabripes is rather difficult to cultivate long term and getting it to live long enough to flower is challenge enough.
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v28n3p81_84.html

Last edited:
Second hurdle: almost all the South African species are self-compatible so care must be taken that your crosses do not self-fertilize. Basically this involves removing the anthers on the "female" plant and washing away any pollen. If this is done before the stigma is receptive all the better. Then you can apply the "donor" pollen. This should be done when the stigma is receptive.

thats gonna be hard.

i take it the pollen does not store well?

I don't know, I never tried storing Drosera pollen. I seem to recall Ivan mentioning it doesn't store well. I've kept Sarracenia pollen in the the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks but I couldn't say with any certainty if it was still viable or not.

Lemme know when you can successfully cross a VFT with a butterwort....

that might take a while haha

Don't teach it Ebonics if you do!

That's a very pretty dew - do you have pictures of the parents too?

Hey that's a beautiful Drosera hybrid! Congrats

That's a gorgeous hybrid! Very interesting cross, I'm sure it will be popular. :-D Are you going to name it anything interesting?

As for saving pollen, I asked this question to Ivan a few months ago, and here's what he said:

"I have saved sundew and ping pollen in the fridge for several days a few times. To do so is extremely difficult and requires a level of skill which boarders on magic. I have special tools to do it with. Lenses and micro-dissection tools. I use the same tools all the time for pollinating. I pluck off the entire stamen with a micro-dissection forceps and dab it on the stigmas. To save pollen, keep the stamens in a moist vial in the fridge
~Ivan"

So sounds pretty tough lol.

That's a gorgeous hybrid! Very interesting cross, I'm sure it will be popular. :-D Are you going to name it anything interesting?

Not a name yet...I've a lot of plants of this crossing...I just want to select the best one and then I will think about a name...:jester:

i was taking some pictures of my nidiformis flower just now and looked over and saw that another sundew had a flower open too! what luck! i took them both out of my terrarium and did a quick inspection: the nidiformis had fresh pollen sacks bursting open and the "pretty rosette" i just got had its recepticle things all fresh looking (anthers?) its pollen sacks looked like they wernt even developing. so i didnt do anything fancy to pollenate them. i just ripped all the pollen sacks off the nidi with some tweezers and rubbed them in the other flower and left them there. i guess i did something right because less than three minutes later they were both almost completly shut.

fresh nidiformis flower
IMG_6072.jpg

drosera nidiformis and drosera sp. "pretty rosette"
IMG_6077.jpg

the flower shut very quickly
IMG_6078.jpg

LETS HOPE THIS WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Milipede! Hope it works for you:).

Back