What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Drosera filiformis "florida all red" experiment

Hello everyone,

I have started an experiment!

I noticed that in many of the photos of D. filiformis growing in the wild the plants are growing in pure silica... But in cultivation, people grow this plant in varying substrates such 1:1 peat:silica, sphagnum, etc.

So, what I have done is potted three Drosera filiformis "florida all red" seedlings in seperate pots in different substrates.

I want to see if the substrates most commonly used in cultivation work better, or if the pure silica substrate like in the wild works better.

here are the plants:

031.JPG

Pure silica, thoroughly washed
032.JPG

Pure live sphagnum moss
033.JPG

1:1 Peatmoss:silica, both peat and silica was washed
034.JPG

I have fed all of the seedlings about 4 days ago. I am growing them all in the same terrarium:
035.JPG

My only worry is that the silica will form some kind of slime mould on top of it, but since I washed it I'm hoping it won't be a problem.

I water the silica pot by lightly misting the top; I don't have a hole in the bottom because I don't want the sand to fall out.

I hope the experiment goes well! :awesome:

Can we guess which one will grow best? If so i say sand peat moss mix then moss. Very cool experiment i did one on Drosera capensis not to long ago.

Can we guess which one will grow best? If so i say sand peat moss mix then moss.

hahaha sure. :p I'm guessing the one growing in live sphagnum will.

peat, then LFS, then silica.. just my prediction from experience with this sp.

No i am serious i am going with what i said because i have seen them where they grow near beaches in Fl.

Just for fun, here's a picture I found of them growing in the wild. I'm not exactly sure if the sand is just on top, or if it's deep.

D_filiformis_2009_May07_01.jpg

That's exactly what i ment i am pretty sure it's almost (almost) all the way beyond the roots. That's why i said SAND.

The New Jersey Drosera filiformis do well in almost pure sand as that's what they are often found growing in. It's easier to nurse them out of dormancy when grown in sand.

I have trouble with this species during the time they come out of dormancy as they seem to be vulnerable to crown rot. For others they grow like weeds. My experience is the sandier the mix the better - at least 2 to 1 sand to peat. A thick top layer of sand may help.

Otherwise they seem to grow well in any of the common CP planting substrates.

Keep us updated.

Last edited:
See i am with not a number i say sand, peat, LFS.

I look forward to an updated photo in a few months.

I too look forward to updates. I have a few of these plants growing myself and will do a couple different planting as well, see how they grow here in east tn.

WOW where did you get such a beautiful sand? Is it filter silica sand?

Yes, it is silica sand. :) I washed it out completely to get rid of any minerals and salts.

Yes, it is silica sand. :) I washed it out completely to get rid of any minerals and salts.

Right I got that part from the original message. But where from?
The silica sand I get from pool supply stores looks like crap and even though it says mesh 20 it is anywhere from 16 to 60...

Last edited:
Right I got that part from the original message. But where from?
The silica sand I get from pool supply stores looks like crap and even though it says mesh 20 it is anywhere from 16 to 60...

Oh I see... :p

I got it from Home Depot as "Decor sand". The smaller print says "silica" and the brand is Stonemason.

I have trouble with this species during the time they come out of dormancy as they seem to be vulnerable to crown rot. For others they grow like weeds. My experience is the sandier the mix the better - at least 2 to 1 sand to peat. A thick top layer of sand may help.

Otherwise they seem to grow well in any of the common CP planting substrates.

Too much water causes crown rot. I lost several this year do to that. It excess water is avoided, none will rot.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Devon: please let me know if you ever have any more "Fl All Red" seed. I'm looking for different red filliformis from Florida.

a month and a bit later...

about two weeks ago, all of the plants were looking good. But some of them went down hill.

Here they are:

Peat:sand mix:
038.JPG

039.JPG

Pure live Sphagnum:
040.JPG

041.JPG

047.JPG

044.JPG

Pure silica sand:
049.JPG

050.JPG

and a couple of new ones, Pure silica sand with drainage.
051.JPG

053.JPG

larger pot:
031.JPG

035.JPG

here is was seems to be happening...

Peat & sand Mix:
These plants were doing the best at one point, but suddenly died down after feeding. Or perhaps is it the temperature change? The plants are maintaing a green-ish colour with not much red yet... Not really sure why.

Pure live Sphagnum moss
They are growing slowly, but staying healthy. Even after feeding. They are also keeping their green-ish colour with not much red yet.

Pure silica sand (no drainage)
They were growing just as well as the plants in the peat & sand mix, but the yellow-ish colour doesn't look healthy to me. They are still growing fairly well right now. They seem to have much less dew on them than the other plants.

Pure silica with drainage
These plants are growing great so far. They are staying a nice red colour, but they still have that yellow tint...

Some other plants that aren't involved in the experiment that are growing in a peat and sand mix have beautiful red colour and are not in the terrarium... it's kinda weird, I don't get why the plants that are in the terrarium growing in the same mix don't have as much colour. Could it be the terrarium's tint not letting in as much light?

here are the plants:
004.JPG

Oh, wow! Well, I certainly know what to plant mine in now :) Cool experiment Devon! Will you continue it until they reach flowering maturity?

Yes, I will try to continue the experiment for as long as I can. I will have to repot them withtin a month or so though, haha. :p

Thanks!

So which one do you think is growing the best?

Back