What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower power

Cool, that makes sense.

Drosera trinervia

These are from last year. New crop of flowers should start in about a month. You can certainly see the glands on the calyx/sepals and scape.
01220021copy.jpg

01220019copy.jpg

01220024.jpg

01220017copy.jpg

Very odd flowers on that one.

D. trinervia
IMGP3813copy.jpg

IMGP3806.jpg

Last edited:
Wow - that's a bunch of them. 'Fun to see so many flowers all together, and nice closeup showing all the glands on the inflorescence. 'Conveniently short, too. I rarely have enough headroom for flowers.

It's the first time I've had more than one flower blossom at the same time with this colony. I missed them full open by maybe 30 minutes. These are quite ephemeral and very difficult to catch while opening. I should try cross-pollinating to see if I get better seed sets. Indeed my D. venusta is flowering perhaps I can try for some hybrids again.

Second wave of flowers starting already:
IMGP3994.jpg

'Nice to have a second wave. It looks like you're going to have a lot of seed!

Drosera falconeri
IMGP4057copy.jpg

IMGP4061copy.jpg

Drosera venusta "coccicaulis"

I couldn't quite get the focus or framing with hand-held shots. Notice the subtle coloring of the petals
IMGP4071-1.jpg

IMGP4075.jpg

by the time I got the tripod setup the flower had closed significantly.
IMGP4080.jpg

Some shots from 2007 with a film camera
04020018.jpg

04020002.jpg

Drosera petiolaris all red form (what's red about it don't ask me)
IMGP4179copy.jpg

'Seems like petiolaris 'dews have especially frilly interiors. Nice. We can see the flower isn't red - so the plant isn't either? :lol:

D. scorpioides "White Flower"
IMGP4215.jpg

If I'm lucky I can catch the pink flowered within the next couple days for comparison.

D. scorpioides "White Flower"

If I'm lucky I can catch the pink flowered within the next couple days for comparison.

Mine never blooms :( . I might not get enough cold to trigger flowering....:headwall:

Drosera helodes
IMGP4237.jpg

few extra petals on these
IMGP4246.jpg

IMGP4241.jpg

The 'doubled' petals are very interesting. These are 3 different plants, right? Makes me wonder if the same plants will produce the same patterns in petal production later on. Five petals appears to me to be the norm but maybe it's not?

D. scorpioides "Pink Flower"
_MGP4395.jpg

Repost of white flower for easier comparison
IMGP4215.jpg

Last edited:
D. scorpioides "Pink Flower" blooming for me today April 1, 2012

DSC_00080001_6_hf.jpg

Back