What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower power

D. falconeri and D. zigzagia
He4rlgT.jpg

tGeGLJk.jpg

2P203Na.jpg

EU6XAcy.jpg

qfSmRyJ.jpg

iZKP5Dg.jpg

'Must take some patience. My zigzagia has put out at least 5 flowers this year and I have yet to see one open.

I had them opening all over the place when mine was blooming...they just seem to take forever to develop, and only open for a day.

Once they start getting pointy like the bud on the lower right it's about 5-7 days from opening. The flower didn't start to open until about 9-9:30am and wasn't fully open until about 11:30am-12pm. I didn't notice when they closed, not until late afternoon.

As you'll recall from Robert Gibson's presentation at the ICPS conference opening and closing is highly dependent on temperature and humidity. I didn't move the plant indoors to take pictures as I didn't want the flowers to close on me prematurely as they often do when from micro-climate changes. It was windy out as usual so I used a flash mostly.

Counting chickens before they hatch :single_eye:

D. scorpioides
nvvqYj0.jpg

G2jlk1L.jpg

NcpnFOf.jpg

D. hamiltonii
9BsBCNW.jpg

It's been 6-8 years since I've had D. scorpioides flower for me, I moved them indoors and no flowers since. Last fall I moved most of my pots outdoors again because they were on the decline. Also to try to get them to flower. I lost track of my white flowered plants and I had a few pots from plants that the source didn't say what color flowers they were. The first photo is from a pink flowered plant. The others are unknown. Hopefully they are white flowers in which case I may be able to get seed by crossing the pink with white.

Only plants from one location of D. hamiltonii is starting to flower so far. The other location is usually 3 or so weeks behind. I haven't had much luck that past few years getting seed. Either the plants don't flower or I just don't get any seed. Hit or miss - most frustrating.

Counting chickens before they hatch :single_eye:

D. scorpioides
nvvqYj0.jpg

G2jlk1L.jpg

NcpnFOf.jpg

It's been 6-8 years since I've had D. scorpioides flower for me, I moved them indoors and no flowers since. Last fall I moved most of my pots outdoors again because they were on the decline. Also to try to get them to flower. I lost track of my white flowered plants and I had a few pots from plants that the source didn't say what color flowers they were. The first photo is from a pink flowered plant. The others are unknown. Hopefully they are white flowers in which case I may be able to get seed by crossing the pink with white.

Nice shots! I've only got one of my Scorps to bloom once. It was 4 years old at the time. Grow indoors under a T5 light.

GAiVoTE.jpg

Not a Number;1216577 ...Only plants from one location of D. hamiltonii is starting to flower so far. The other location is usually 3 or so weeks behind. I haven't had much luck that past few years getting seed. Either the plants don't flower or I just don't get any seed. Hit or miss - most frustrating.[/QUOTE said:
What is amazing is that you have actually gotten seeds from this species. I've been growing it for 8 years now and have never seen a flower stalk.

What is amazing is that you have actually gotten seeds from this species. I've been growing it for 8 years now and have never seen a flower stalk.

Deep pots (a least 6 inches) help. And they need a definite winter (no frost).

Drosera helodes
9QJ8qqD.jpg

D. scorpioides white flower
flash vs available light
qiTABvo.jpg

pia1ks7.jpg

fZx74Qs.jpg

fLEuoTC.jpg

D. 'Marston's Dragon'
3pDwt6N.jpg

eGdsLLm.jpg

Y5IMFY1.jpg

Okay so it turns out the "white" flower D. scorpioides may actually be pink flowers.

gB84cwe.jpg

afVRoAs.jpg

JumBSjB.jpg

5jGSQEJ.jpg

rBM2qbt.jpg

kzWlWNw.jpg

D. platystigma "A"
dm33Fpv.jpg

3sB9Qx4.jpg

j9pLhHU.jpg

pSTlsN8.jpg

Last edited:
Drosera enodes
3sttKNt.jpg

Gm1G2eC.jpg

Very nice! My favorite spatulata variety:)

D. binata v. multifida f. extrema

SdV4fFO.jpg

UkfEcMC.jpg

Some sorta cute little pygmy dew from Warren :awesome:

WuqvoxUl.jpg

D. pulchella?

Drosera leucoblasta "Cranbrook Form" Giant Flower
L307w0l.jpg

Drosera capensis red form
WbwcuAl.jpg

D. omissa "White Flower" (pale pink actually)
qL9A0wM.jpg

D. 'Hercules'
P3qjBwv.jpg

Strawberries or D. regia?
j4AAViX.jpg

Love those D. regia flowers!!

Back