What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower power

this is my large D.slakii,it has sat on the window sill over winter and split,last year it gave me the most impressive flower stalk i have had on a dew,this year two flower stalks are just starting,i hope they are as impressive as last year and not weaker due to the fact there are two

I've been growing those going on 6-7 years with no flowers. Appears they like cooler winters. I've had them outdoors all year round that past two years with no flowers yet. They seem to like the climate in Western Europe.

As soon as the threat of frost is over it will go outside.it gets natural light and photoperiod ,in winter lives in a coolish room on draughty window sill.will update because if its as good as last year two at once should be very cool

Last edited:
The pups from root cuttings look nice at the moment. The mother plant looks like something the cat dragged in. I didn't trim off the skirt of dead leaves when I repotted it. Maybe it would have been better to do so.
IMGP3504.jpg

Thinking about it it can not be a cool winter thing because surely its warmer in my house than outside in los angeles in winter,do you find slakii takes better via root cuttings,i propagated via leaf pullings and they took ages,four months or more before anything was visable

cicek01.jpg

cicek06c.jpg

Last edited:
Maxima: awesome!

Thinking about it it can not be a cool winter thing because surely its warmer in my house than outside in los angeles in winter,do you find slakii takes better via root cuttings,i propagated via leaf pullings and they took ages,four months or more before anything was visable

Root cuttings are definitely faster than leaf cuttings. The leaf cutting I tried took many months and only one strike. It took so long I don't even remember how long it took. I don't recall how long the roots took, maybe a couple months and the plantlets are faster growing than the leaf cutting. Laying the cutting down horizontally stimulates plantlet formation from my experience.

I can't remember the temperatures Christian Dietz said his greenhouse gets minimum in the winter 4-5°C I think. His plants routinely flower.

could be correct on the temps,was checking out the window sill and could not believe just how draughty it is,could get very cold mid winter ,will try root cuttings next time;),anyway flowers,d.venusta

Corky: awesome. The backlighting on the flowers make it looks as if the sepals are in front (relative to POV) of the petals.
Millepede: That's what they were labeled when I got them. I'd like to get some "non-coccicaulis" D. venusta to do a side-by-side comparison.

D. callistos. With flash vs available light in the shade. You can see the subtle colors in the available light photo despite lack of DOF and some motion blur (wind).
IMGP3712.jpg

IMGP3711.jpg

nice NAN :bigthumpup:

Yet another D. cistiflora flower
IMGP3830.jpg

IMGP3886.jpg

IMGP3880copy.jpg

And another D. hamiltonii flower on the way. Two years in a row. Deep pots may make all the difference.
IMGP3831.jpg

Last edited:
great you got the cistiflora open,congrats

That salmon pink flower is amazing!

Coming soon...

drosoo02.jpg

drosoo01.jpg

very cool Maxima i like

Last edited:
'Very nice pink cistiflora, NaN. I'm just trying to keep my seedlings alive through their first year.

Droso flowers are so amazingly yellow. 'Nice pics, Maxima.

Neat flowers! The black center of the cistiflora pops! The yellow drosophyllum blossom makes me think of buttercups:p

Yey I finally caught my 'fraser island' flowers fully bloomed on 2 different colonies! All flowers in the pics literally closed 2 mins. after taking them:( Also added this fella to my collection(I find blue plants irresistible)

'Way to hang in there. Obviously a plant that doesn't care much about insect pollination. 'Probably thinks of insects as merely food. :)

I think I have that Af. violet cultivar. It's a good one.

Back