What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower power

I leave my tropical drosera outside all year. They "die" when the temp. goes down to 0C, but come next spring, 2-3 heads sprout from where only 1 used to be.
They've even seen many snowy days and yet they don't seem to mind :)

albur.jpg

Oh, very nice! What kind of Drosera are those? I leave most of mine out too, but it only goes down to about 5C where I live.

Hey thez_yo, thanks. It's an Aliciae, or at least that's how it was labelled when I bought it over 2 years ago. The light green ones are Burmannii. They must have hitchhiked, I didn't sow them in that pot.

This is how it looked in the terrarium I had over 2 years ago;

alic1o.jpg

I put the pot outside at the end of summer and both plants "died" in winter. Went brown and dried up. However when spring came, 6-7 plants sprouted from those 2 dead ones.

This is before spring, second dormancy;

gentr.jpg

Same pot.
I believe there are 10+ plants in there now. They did get smaller and redder though, as you must have noticed.

Drosera admirabilis holotype small form
_IGP0700a.jpg

Very nice friend! I love those African species, esp. graminifolia...but I don't think I should try growing those in San Diego.

Impressive dews with gorgeous flowers! It doesn't get any better than this! :laaa:

Excellent picture, NAN!

More freak growth. D. venusta "coccicaulis". The two scapes are actually fused.
_IGP0701a.jpg

_IGP0708a.jpg

Six year old Drosera get pretty mangy looking. Here's what they looked like (on the right) before I trimmed off the old growth and repotted covering the stems.
_IGP8796.jpg

Thanks guys, I love my drosera pot as well. It receives 8 hours of direct sunlight, that must be why they thrived; especially after staying outside during winter.

Great pots, NAN. I love seeing new growth on top of dead plants. I love the natural look. You seem to have a vigorous cephalotus there as well...

Drosera pulchella Salmon flowers
_IGP0739.jpg

_IGP0730a.jpg

These were labeled D. nitidula × pulchella but they shouldn't have pink/purple flowers. The pink/purple flowers are probably D. omissa × pulchella. The plants look virtually identical to me. I'll have to look at them under magnification. Your guess is probably better than mine.
_IGP0735.jpg

_IGP0736.jpg

_IGP0740.jpg

Here you go Thez - D. allantostigma
_IGP0738.jpg

_IGP0737.jpg

Followup to D. venusta "coccicaulis"
_IGP0755.jpg

And Yet Another Freak
Double flowerstalk (fused) D. aliciae
_IGP0757a.jpg

_IGP0761a.jpg

She's a superfreak, superfreak...

D. aliciae
IMGP1100.jpg
IMGP1109.jpg

D. capensis
IMGP1108.jpg

The Freaks
D. venusta
IMGP1105.jpg

D. aliciae
IMGP1106.jpg
IMGP1115.jpg

Last edited:
Aliciae stopped but little Burmannii's keep flowering in a hurry as the summer heat fades away...

alicbur.jpg

burmanii white flower.
other burmanii have pink flowers, i wonder where this one came from...

drso.jpg

I think the ones from Beerwah, Queensland have white flowers.

D. aff ordensis love the colors of the stigma and pollen. And you can see why they are called wooly sundews.
IMGP3008copy.jpg

IMGP2979.jpg

IMGP2985.jpg

Very excellent pictures! Thanks for shring them, and what beautiful flowers! :)

The ones I have from Beerwah have yet to flower but the plants are very green. No red colouration under my lights whatsoever.

That flower scape is so fuzzy! Is D. aff ordensis the same as D. ordensis or are they different?

Species affinis (usually abbreviated sp. aff. Aff. or Affin.) refers to an unknown or undescribed species distinct from but closely related or resembling the named species. In this case Drosera ordensis.

Back