What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower power

Filiformis 'Intermedia'

More D. echinoblastus
IMGP7551_zps682c81af.jpg

IMGP7541_zps30cefd7c.jpg

I was able to catch one of the flowers open on the D. ultramafica × spatulata.
d_ultramafica_s4-page-004_zpsbb5914bc.jpg

IMGP7574_1_zps5151ef37.jpg

IMGP7573_zps65abbfb2.jpg

IMGP7573_1_zps1a37773f.jpg

IMGP7561_zpsdf7857c8.jpg

IMGP7561_1_zpsda18a65a.jpg

IMGP7559_zps8277d7f0.jpg

IMGP7557_zpsd3eb5c63.jpg

D. hamiltonii Esperance, SW Australia
IMGP7581_zps4719ba5f.jpg

IMGP7580_zps79844c61.jpg

IMGP7579_zps04859636.jpg

IMGP7576_zpsdb349b6f.jpg

Last edited:
Hamiltonii continues to elude me

NaN you post the loveliest flower shots.

real nice pic NAN,do you get seeds from hamiltonii?no matter how much i stare at mine there is still no sign of a flower:-(

real nice pic NAN,do you get seeds from hamiltonii?no matter how much i stare at mine there is still no sign of a flower:-(

'Same here! It is a pleasure to see yours blooming so fully.

I meant to comment on the amazing orange color of the D. echinoblastus. A stunning color. The only other orange-flowered Drosera that I know about is a variety of aff. paradoxa.

The species appears to be self-incompatible so no seeds so far. I hoping these are a different clone from the plants I had before. Those are flowering too but are 2-3 weeks behind these. I'm storing pollen so maybe if they are different clones I can get seed that way.

Have you tried deep pots? At least six inches seems to make a difference. Check with Stephen Morely on winter temps as cool winters seem to matter too.

'Same here! It is a pleasure to see yours blooming so fully.

I meant to comment on the amazing orange color of the D. echinoblastus. A stunning color. The only other orange-flowered Drosera that I know about is a variety of aff. paradoxa.

Drosera callistos

IMGP7598_zps8c34bb37.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for your reply NAN,i took your advice and planted a couple of small plants in deep pots,i will see what happens

Nice macro! The orange color is a nice break from pink or purple Drosera flowers.

thanks for your reply NAN,i took your advice and planted a couple of small plants in deep pots,i will see what happens

You should see a difference in growth. They don't send out nearly as many offshoots in deep pots. I hypothesize that rather then spending resources on offshoots the plants can put the energy into flower production.

the first D.slackii flower this year

I have yet to get that species to flower.

I was thinking the same but it doesn't produce offshoots the way D. hamiltonii does, even when I had it in a tiny 3.5 inch pot.

Very impressive, Corky.

My slackii produce offshoots but perhaps that is due to the way I often cut away old dead leaves and plant the whole plant deeper when I repot. I never get flowers but I don't think I have sufficient winter temperature drops.

thanks,just luck i leave the plant on a south windowsill and the temps and photo period must be what the plant requires to flower,never had any offshoots and the plants are in relatively small pots,this flower was on a plant from leaf cutting and is two years old

Back