What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower power

well mine have always flowered in pretty shallow pots,but maybe it helps in a hotter climate,but i have took your advice NAN and am now growing a couple of hamiltonii in very tall (9" long white gutter down pipes) to see if they grow better than those i have in shallower pots,so far they are looking good

Have you tried the "yesterday's pollen - today's stigma" trick with D. slackii? Sometimes that works if it is a matter of dichogamy (pistils and stamens ripening at different times). Pluck off a few anthers and save them for the next round of flowers. Or just reuse the paint brush without cleaning it between rounds.

Cheers NAN.Could i pull the petals off yesterdays flower that would be closed and use the anthers,I was thinking of doing this.

Last edited:
first time flowering this for me,i hope to get a better pic at the weekend,it seems to be opening just when i leave for work,d.cuneifolia

this cuneifolia flower is a bit more open,i was surprised it was so large at 35 mm across looks like 30 mm in the pic but when measured more carefully without juggling with the camera and flower it was 35mm

Last edited:
Cheers NAN.Could i pull the petals off yesterdays flower that would be closed and use the anthers,I was thinking of doing this.

I suppose you could. I've never tried this. I would cut the old flower off from the stem and slice it open with a scalpel or x-acto knife. Probably be a lot easier doing it that way.

thanks for your response NAN,i have already tried it the other day so fingers crossed

Two hybrids, D. spatulata 'Tamlin' x sp. Lantau Island on the left, and sp. Lantau x capensis "typical" on the right

D. spatulata "Beenak, Victoria AU"

Nice shots!

D. capillaris long arm Tate's Hell Swamp, FL aka "Ivan's Long Arm"
IMGP0125_zpsfdbbmx2l.jpg

This wasn't intentional, but the flower stalk got snagged on a leaf or other flower stalk and twisted about like those "lucky bamboo" plants

D. cistilflora
IMGP0139_zps4b4kyrpv.jpg

IMGP0137_zpsgs4jdrih.jpg

IMGP0111_zps75reuqly.jpg

I had to leave so I didn't get the flower fully open. Some other time

D. nidiformis
IMGP0146_zpsttzmwnv4.jpg

D. helodes
IMGP0154_zpsi4td33wd.jpg

IMGP0132_zpsxdlqtoy1.jpg

IMGP0159_zps6rigdpos.jpg

D. callistos
IMGP0140_zpszk6vyfj7.jpg

D. hookeri
IMGP0150_zpsg5fxielf.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome photos!

The color of the pink D. cistiflora is very nice.

Well nearly fully open. The second shot was an error, didn't set flash sync speed, but kind of a nice effect. Bottom shot is the same flower the day before.
IMGP0248_zps1zulftlc.jpg

IMGP0242_zpsmup2ueid.jpg

IMGP0202_zpssj88fas5.jpg

A few D.slackii pics, the planets have aligned and I have a bit of dew , living jewels indeed

Last edited:
D. kaieteurensis
IMGP0293_zpsp714wmov.jpg

IMGP0289_zpsbdfgalyq.jpg

IMGP0287_zpsdbr8nmhz.jpg

This seems like a good thread to ask the question what triggers flowering in sundews light cycle or age

This seems like a good thread to ask the question what triggers flowering in sundews light cycle or age

depends. some are very seasonal. I suspect those have environmental cues. Day length, temp. etc. winter growing, tuberous, areas with discrete wet and dry seasons. Others are ever blooming and I suspect age might be the most important factor.....

Drosera kaietuerensis - shot with my Lester Dine (Kiron) 105mm f/2.8 macro. The first two shots using a Pringle's can snoot over the built-in in flash, the rest using the Lester Dine (Yuzo) ring flash at 1/16th power. These flowers are very ephemeral and in the time it took me to change to the ringflash the flower closed some. Say about 5-6 minutes. Managed to catch it wide open for once :)

IMGP0346_zpsuvsaap17.jpg

IMGP0355_zpsiyjqwkyk.jpg

ringflash:
IMGP0368_1_zpsjyq0zkst.jpg

IMGP0374_zpsfujgbzxx.jpg

Wow 5-6 minutes is really fast! I find it interesting that different species of Drosera have their flowers close at different speeds. Venusta flowers seem to last the longest for me as they stay open for several hours. Also, I'm glad I was able to see the cistiflora flower in person last week. It was amazing.

Back