What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower power

D. ultramafica × spatulata - this is about as close to fully open I'll ever catch these:

IMGP1990_zpstmlrgl5n.jpg

IMGP1992_zpsviiltvum.jpg

How did I not know about this thread before now? Some great pics in here!

D. sp. "Lantau Island"

d-sp-lantau-island-flower-8-31-15.jpg

D. binata "dwarf red"

d-binata-dwarf-red-flower-8-31-15.jpg

Just found out about this thread! Here is my D. roseana in bloom!

11l5lw2.jpg

I've been away from this thread for awhile. Nice photos on this page!

D. graomogolensis - at my friendly neighborhood CP nursery.

P2047116c.jpg

P2047121c.jpg

D. Tokaiensis x Spatulata 'Tamlin'

D. Tokaiensis x Spatulata 'Tamlin'

Interesting, a white-flowered one....all of mine currently take after the pink flowered tokaiensis....

Interesting, a white-flowered one....all of mine currently take after the pink flowered tokaiensis....
Haha, interesting. I don't know if you took the others from the same clump but the other two are sending up stalks, I'll post some pictures when they open.

Last edited:
Okay, these came from me...in that case, I'm guessing this one is a result of selfing that's showing the white flowers. Simple genetics, the white flower is either recessive or codominant to the pink, so pink shows up first and subsequent offspring may show either; I have an anglica x spatulata cross that has both white and pink versions, because the anglica is white and the spatulata had a white and pink parent.

Okay, these came from me...in that case, I'm guessing this one is a result of selfing that's showing the white flowers. Simple genetics, the white flower is either recessive or codominant to the pink, so pink shows up first and subsequent offspring may show either; I have an anglica x spatulata cross that has both white and pink versions, because the anglica is white and the spatulata had a white and pink parent.
And the second plant is a purple flower! There is still one clump to determine but it ran into some problems and is just now starting to come back.

And one with weird light levels...

Purple, or pink? The only plants with purple flowers I have are a form of cistiflora....

Purple, or pink? The only plants with purple flowers I have are a form of cistiflora....

Imo, purple. The first picture is 1:1 light levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the first picture is actual lighting, I'm guessing what light it's being viewed in affects it some, but I'm leaning more toward that being the mauve-pink that's typical of tokaiensis hybrids with light-colored flowers. I'd be shocked if a true purple showed up out of these plants.

Before they open I wouldn't suggest any other color than purple and the same when they start to close. The edge of the petals look like a nice purple and then get's into a pink, beautiful flower regardless. The girlfriend wants to say fuchsia. Question, I swapped some pollen with it and my Spatulata. Could think possibly yield a purple flower Spatulata? Apologies if this is some impossible cross but I've never attempted into crossing any type of plant before, maybe I can find some articles about covering carnivorous plants in particular.
If the first picture is actual lighting, I'm guessing what light it's being viewed in affects it some, but I'm leaning more toward that being the mauve-pink that's typical of tokaiensis hybrids with light-colored flowers. I'd be shocked if a true purple showed up out of these plants.

Last edited:
Before they open I wouldn't suggest any other color than purple and the same when they start to close. The edge of the petals look like a nice purple and then get's into a pink, beautiful flower regardless. The girlfriend wants to say fuchsia. Question, I swapped some pollen with it and my Spatulata. Could think possibly yield a purple flower Spatulata? Apologies if this is some impossible cross but I've never attempted into crossing any type of plant before, maybe I can find some articles about covering carnivorous plants in particular.

After having just looked at the plants I still have of this cross, some with closing flowers, I'm going to have to say it's down to what lighting you're viewing them in; for me, they're straight pink, and vary from very bright to moderately dark (none as dark as tokai though).
And, I can't really tell you even if you'll get anything from crossing them. The hybrid as it was is only semi-fertile, with some fertile and some not, and some more than others, because spatulata is a parent of tokaiensis as it is so the chromosomes line up fairly well, but not perfectly. Whatever spatulata you crossed it with might determine flower color more than the hybrid if you did cross it with a fertile one; since the hybrid parents had white and pink flowers, the F2 offspring will have the same variation, white being recessive to pink. And, there are plenty of pink-flowered spatulata out there already, many with everything from fairly light to very dark pink (as your girlfriend might say, deep fuchsia) as the color depending on locality. My crossing of several spatulata varieties has resulted in me producing ones that also possess flowers that near the mauve-type color that the tokaiensis x white-flowered spatulata forms have.

D. hamiltonii - after skipping a year I have both clones sending up flower. More than one plant at the same time. Maybe I'll get enough seed to give to the seed bank this time.

IMGP2151_zpst8iphgo9.jpg

IMGP2149_zpsesineplq.jpg

IMGP2148_zpsj8jpuyba.jpg

IMGP2147_zpsqka6zyhp.jpg

The stalks look like pipe cleaners at this stage :D

Seeds at the seedbank would be great! I have lots of credits stored and nothing really good to use them on....:D

I find it interesting that the flower stalk of that sundew has dew on it. Very interesting.

[MENTION=5343]Not a Number[/MENTION] could you please tell me what media you use for this species and in what humidity they are grown in? I am always struggling with mine. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back