What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

capensis care

I just got a large d capensis and its about to bloom when i get seeds from it should I wait a while then plant them ? or should i plant them right when i get them and also when i plant them how long till they sprout ?:poke::poke::boogie::banana2::boogie::banana2:

If you want 1000 capes you can let it flower and drop the seed in its pot (and neighboring pots >.>) . I am growing my capes in pure peat and they love it. never seen a sundew grow so fast in my life.. .I would just scatter the seed wherever you want capes in a peat heavy mix / pure peat mix and bottom water so you dont drive the seeds into the media which will make them not sprout

You can pretty much do whatever you want with the seeds... I'd be surprised if you genuinely tried to get them to sprout and failed. And it isn't important that they're sown immediately, but it doesn't hurt either. It's really not a picky plant, and it does not produce finicky seeds. It produces WAYTOOMANY and they all friggin' seem to germinate, LOL.

Think.... dandelion....

also when it blooms i have heard that i should use a small brush to pollenate it is this correct also should i move the pollen all over the flower

capensis will self pollinate, so no need to do anything to the flowers. Just let em flower then sprinkle the seeds on whichever pot you want them to grow in.

and when it blooms how long till it makes seed ?

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

it is blomming now so i was wondering if it will take long to seed

It should take a few weeks to make seed. All of the flowers will generally bloom about one every other day or so. Then watch the pods to start breaking open. I take a big dinner plate, hold the flower stem over it and tap gently on it. The seeds will fall right out. There will be thousands of tiny little black seeds.

D. capensis can quickly become a weed if you are not careful.

Good luck,
Steve

Well i don't think you need anymore info looks like you got all you need good luck.

Took mine 13 days to germinate but to put up their first carnivorous leaves around 3-4 weeks

Last edited:
1 day? Cool never had that happen and never heard of that. It tool mine about 2-4 weeks to germinate their first non carnivorous plant leaves.

My guess is doomsday meant 10 days. 1 day is way to quick haha.

I always read that capensis are the easiest to germinate and grow and yet I have a tray with capensis and omissa pink seeds in LFS substrate and even though capensis germinated faster than omissa pink, omissa seedlings have shown more growth.

My capensis seedlings have pretty much stayed the same size for a while... Tried to feed a few seedlings and did not notice any improvement...

OOh crap i meant 13 ... :/ :lol:

Feeding won't show results right away, but give it time. It'll have a growth spurt from the feeding within a few days to a week. If you compare it to non-feed seedlings, you'll see a big difference.

I have the same problem with D. capensis. I am collecting seed now. I put a small bag (paper) over the flower stalk to collect the seeds.
I hope this method works.

I always read that capensis are the easiest to germinate and grow and yet I have a tray with capensis and omissa pink seeds in LFS substrate and even though capensis germinated faster than omissa pink, omissa seedlings have shown more growth.

My capensis seedlings have pretty much stayed the same size for a while... Tried to feed a few seedlings and did not notice any improvement...

Try to move them - The Capensis, to higher light, then you'll see them take off. ^^

Back