What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peat for D.Regia

I'm getting a Regis soon and I heard on here that pure peat mix is good for the plant.

I only have some pure Sphagnum peat so...
1.Is it okay that it takes awhile for it to absorb water?
2.Is it okay that is it a lighter color than other peat I see on here.
3.Is pure okay,or do I need to mix it?
4.How do I pot it,it seems to uncompressed.
5. How do I wash it it?

I can't get perlite ATM, any good substitute?

I've had success growing it in a BIG pot, 70:30 peat/silica sand. Moist, not wet. They have long roots, so need deep pots.

PEat should be OK but i would try to get something liek perlite or sand in there sometime...

What is sillica sand. I maybe able oto steal er borrow sum from my schools green house.

I maybe able oto steal er borrow sum from my schools green house.

Why not just ask if you can have some?

The color of peat moss will depend on it's quality, how deep from the surface it was "mined" from, and the source (location).

Cause that's a lame way to go about it LOL. I got my Sphagnum brand by the name of Scott's. Sorry. If this isn't very conservatiob approved but was litterally the last bag!

Better look closely at the peat. Scott's makes Miracle-Gro and some of their peat products(and perlite, vermiculite, for that matter) or enhanced with Miracle-Gro fertilzer.
You need sphagnum peat that is not enhanced.

Cheers,

Joe

I grow my regia in deep pots with a 50/50 milled lfs/perlite mix. They do great in it.

I'm actually curious if miracle grow peat would work with regia since they like fertilizing.

Its regular sphagnum, not enhanced. If i get more than one D.Regia, ill try it.

Im in school rite now.
*dramatic music*

Nope no perlite or sillica sand. Exactly what is that sand anyway?

Nope no perlite or sillica sand. Exactly what is that sand anyway?

It's swimming pool filter sand. Very coarse and heavy.. kind of like what is in the dirt where these plants grow in the wild.

Recent green stuff has discouraged me from using RW ever again. :(

Back