What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera propagation attempt

The time has come to attempt propagating some of my drosera. Namely D. falconeri and D. regia. There are just not enough around as it is so I figured I could help a little getting these guys into more hands.

Here is what I did for each. I am open to suggestions or critique or even rants (I have thick skin).

D. regia
I followed the advice of one of Joseph Clemens threads. Basically I made a few root cuttings about 1/2 inch long and place them on top of super saturated LFS. I intend to keep the water level high for sometime until I see plant growth.

D. falconeri
I couldn't find quite as much info on this, but I recall reading somewhere someones methods. I tried to mimic those as closely as I recall.

Here is what I did....
I unpotted the entire plant to expose the bulb. I peeled off dead leaves until I reached live ones. I took about 10 live leaf pullings making sure to keep the entire leaf portion all of the way to the bulb.

I then placed each pulling into live LFS similar to a VFT pulling with the stem stuck into the LFS and only the dew trap exposed. I then placed the container into a baggie to keep humidity at 100% and placed it in the wamest and brightest open spot I could find.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'll post pics and such as they progress to show my results.

Mach is the one to talk to about petiolaris complex leaf pullings. I haven't attempted it yet.

I need to make backups of my Drosera glabripes. It's at the size where my previous plants have died and so far leaf cuttings have failed. I might try a pulling. I suspect this species is sensitive to root disturbance because all the pups I repotted died too. Root cuttings failed. Only one out of six or seven left. :(

For all the petiolaris dews that have worked so far floating in water and keeping covered and well lit, warm while they make plantlets has worked. And it seems that leaf pullings like VFTs to included some of the white part of the petiole is the way to go. In the ones with lots of leaves (paradoxa) if you can keep the leaves toge there as clumps 2-3 attached via the petiole it works better

i second Mach's technique. Falconeri is very easy to propagate in dH2O. however, i've never heard of successful leaf cuttings for D. reiga, might be better with root cuttings.

Apparently it is possible to make leaf cuttings with D. regia. Not very successful most times the leaves rot and apparently different cultivares may have different levels of success. Apparently D. regia 'Big Easy' is one that can be propagated by leaf cuttings. Have not tried yet.

I took root cuttings of the D. regia amph. I have never found anyone having success with leaf cuttings either. EDIT: Looks like Mach has better info above on the topic.

Sounds like I may have got it right on the D. falconeri. I have about 10 leaf pullings or so. So maybe i'll take 5 and put them in Dist. H2O to be safe. Thanks for the input!

ah...didnt know that. thanks!

No problem. :) Thanks for the input.

I finally had the time (and battery life) to take some pics...
D. regia root cuttings
regia.jpg

D. falconeri leaf pullings
falconeri.jpg

Back