What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Regia Leaf Cutting

Thought I would post this since I have had a fairly hard time finding much on the subject (with exception to Joseph C's D. Regia 'Big Easy' ). Please do add to this thread if anyone else has had some success with this. I would love to read about other people's experience on this.

About a month ago, I received some D. Regia (typical) leaf cuttings from mass. Thanks to our great postal service, I received quite the lovely squashed mess. Luckily, Travis had sent enough cuttings that 1 pulled through unscathed (well, for the most part).

I had done a lot of reading on the matter, realized it was probably a long shot that it would make it. Given the small bit of living leaf I had left, I was a bit less optimistic as well, but I gave it a shot and hoped for the best. This isn't the typical way I root cuttings, but for D. Regia, it seemed appropriate and has shown some success.

My optimism grew after I realized that the living portions were not rotting away after a few days. After a few weeks, I pretty much had it set in my mind that I had made it over the hump and that my chances of success would be much higher than I ever imagined.

The following pictures show the cutting as it was and as it currently is. Since the last picture was taken, the cuttings have formed many more plantlets. Onto the next challenge... growing it to maturity. Here's hoping some of them will make it at least.

Taken near the start:
IMG_1000.jpg

Taken last week:
IMG_1136.jpg

Last edited:
Hey congrats! I tried some root cuttings a while back but didn't get any strikes. I let the pot dry out.... well my plant sitter did.

Hey alright! Congrats man.. glad you were able to salvage something from the wreckage.

challenge the known and embrace the unknown. Most people would have said that unless you had D. regia 'Big Easy' leaf cuttings would not work. But then you might have Big Easy just don't know :p Might be a good idea for me to try with the two supposedly different forms I have and see if it works the same.

What sort of conditions in terms of temp? Assuming LFS kept moist in baggie or wrapped up in plastic wrap?

75 to 80F daytime, 60 to 70 nighttime. 16 hrs of light kept at about a foot away. The LFS is kept waterlogged; no drainage holes were made in the cup for this reason. Saran wrap covers the top of the cup with holes poked in it. Saran is uncovered every few days and misted lightly before recovering.

Good luck. I would love to hear of other success stories with this :). If these guys reach maturity for me, I hope to be able to do a few more leaf cuttings and experiment with some variables to my setup.

I think I will try this using Ron's test tube method. I just so happen to have one of Ron's test tubes laying around with plantlets inside that are ready to be potted up.

I'm using the water method.. testing my luck.

I was hoping this thread would encourage more people to try to do leaf cuttings of D. Regia. Looks like I might have succeeded :). Please update this thread with your results. Good luck to everyone.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

and wanted to add another thanks to Travis for providing me with the cuttings.

root cuttings on d regia are much easier

root cuttings on d regia are much easier

No arguments from me. From everything I have read, I would believe the majority would agree with you as well. Though the ease of it isn't so much the point as the possibility of leaf cuttings. The perception at hand seems to indicate that leaf cuttings of D. regia are fairly hard to get to strike and I think that deters a lot of people from trying it. It's been successful before with JC's Big Easy and i'm sure many others have succeeded without writing about it. Maybe if more people gave it a shot, we would discover that it isn't nearly as hard and rather, as easy as a root cutting. It's all about the discovery and fun of trying new things in the end.

As kula said, 'challenge the known and embrace the unknown' :)

i would love to try it but I don't have a d regia or a big easy wish I( could find someone to donate some roots or leaves to try it

I wonder if drosophyllum leaves would strike seeing as regia used to be thought impossible which clearly isnt true has anyone ever tryed Drosophyllum leaves succesfully?, seeing as seed is the only other way to propagate it.

I have tried Ron's (patent pending) test tube method. I am not positive I will have success. The leaf turned a dark green almost immediately like it became saturated with water, but we'll see.

I didn't cut the leaf all the way to the base to try to get some white part as I think I probably should have. If this one fails, I will try again cutting the leaf all the way down to the base of the plant just to see if it makes a difference. My poor regia. It's a wonder it hasn't crooked with all that I've done to it trying to get it to make me some regia babies.

Thought I'd give an update on the plantlets.

IMG_1238.jpg

Wow very cool! Nice job!

I wonder if drosophyllum leaves would strike seeing as regia used to be thought impossible which clearly isnt true has anyone ever tryed Drosophyllum leaves succesfully?, seeing as seed is the only other way to propagate it.

...and what's wrong with seed? Drosophyllum also have very sensitive root systems and die if overwatered. I don't think it'd work.

...and what's wrong with seed? Drosophyllum also have very sensitive root systems and die if overwatered. I don't think it'd work.

Sounds like the same bedtime story as Byblis..

SDCPS I thought this thread was about pushing the limits so i just wndered if Drosphyllum could be grown from leaf cuttings. If Magallan stuck to the idea the earth was flat you guys in America wouldnt be on this Forum because no one would have discovered it yet. Im sure the North American Indians would be ghapppy about that but I dont want to open that can of worms
Can Byblis be grown from leaf cuttings?

Back