What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I grow almost all of those species in my bedroom under t5ho on a 4' wire rack like that (I have my pygmies outside). They're doing just fine, but what I might suggest you consider is that although sundew leaves don't grow too tall (except for those capensis guys), the flowers are another matter. As I'm typing the flower stalk on my capensis typical is reaching 14" from the surface of the pot, with 4 more flowers to bloom, so I'd say around 15-15.5"? I used to have my dews on a shorter shelf and I'd just cut the stalks, but I find I really enjoy watching the flowers bloom. And soon I'll have seeds to give away!

I see you've already said you don't have enough room for a 4' wide shelf (yet I'm sure ^^) but if you can get some height, you should be able to enjoy some purdy flowers. Plus t5 lights with reflectors get hot, so the distance will keep your plants from frying.

edit: I got myself a fancy retrofit kit for a 4 bulb t5ho with what I'd read to be very popular reflectors. Turns out, they work a little too well. My plants were frying under 4 bulbs, with temps rising about 12 degrees F above ambient temperature. After I shut off 2 of the bulbs and added a fan, my plants seemed a lot happier. BTW 3 sides of my rack are lined with mylar. This was only my experience and I'm no expert, just reporting on what I've seen. I hope this helps!

Interesting...I would go for 3 foot bulbs but I'm having trouble finding them.

Yeah, three footers are hard to find. Lowes usually has them though, but you don't have as many options as with 4 ft tubes.

Would you go for the 2 bulb or 4 bulb fixture?

4 tubes - more light, better coverage, plants don't have to be as close - more room for air circulation. I put my tropical tank on the shelf over the lamps - heat from the lamps helps warm the tank when the lights are on. When off you get the night temp drop. Two two tube fixtures is an option - if the 4 tube fixture has only one ballast. That way if a ballast goes out at least you have two tubes still working until you can replace the ballast. The plants get a few "overcast" days in the meantime.

I could always add on some clamp lights and move the lower light plants to those ends.

That is certainly an option. And if the plants are in individual trays you can always raise individual plants closer to the lights rather than lowering the lights for all of them.

Thanks for the help! I forgot about flowers. A few of mine have been but the current light strip is thin enough where I can put those with the stalks on one side and there is enough room. But with four bulbs I may be able to raise the height a bit then.

a small fan would help keep the heat down

Yeah I got a small clip fan that I will be using.

Bought the rack today at Lowes (along with a few "extras" ;)) and now I'm excited to not have to move 2 more tanks and a tank stand as well!

Quick question though, now that I wont be moving said tanks how should I transport all the CPs? Would a large Rubbermaid tub just be enough or are there any better/easier methods for moving a collection?

Another one too...

Any noticeable differences between these two fixtures? The are similar price but different manufacturers.

ViaVolt
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QJU034/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=APGCKI9KVGNA9

Hydrofarm
http://www.amazon.com/Output-Fluore...BQZQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1313778813&sr=8-6

If they are the same I probably will go with the black one to match the rack, which is black.

Last edited:
Basically whatever works for you as far as moving them is best :)

I have no idea about the fixtures. They may be made by the same manufacturer for all we know. The black fixture is $26 for shipping. You might try a google search on the manufacturer and model number and see what reviews are out there. The racks come in white and chrome too.

Already went with a black shelf but purchased the white fixture since shipping is free. Thanks for pointing that out!

The only thing I would add is that the pings and pygmy sundews go through a cold period in their life cycles.

Shelf is setup. Light isn't here yet though...will update soon!

Still no light...BUT here's a pic of what the setup looks like now

Back