What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
So I have some extra shelf space that I would like to make use of and potentially make more room in my terrarium(s). This is all a hypothetical but I am wondering which plants I have would do well in these conditions. I can't really get specific numbers but the temp is around 75F room temp, a little warmer under lights. I'm unsure of humidity but I know it was enough where I could grow my N. ventricosa and N. x Miranda on the shelf last year no problems.

Here's the list of potential plants:

-Drosera capillaris 'long arm'
-Drosera aliciae
-Drosera admirabilis 'large form'
-Drosera affinis
-Drosera capensis 'typical'
-Drosera capensis 'alba'
-Drosera capensis 'red'
-Drosera madagascarensis
-Drosera nidiformis
-Drosera sp. Pretty Rosette
-Drosera venusta
-Drosera 'Lake Badgerup'
-Drosera pulchella
-Drosera pygmaea
-Drosera scorpiodies

Also a few pings (moctezumae, primuliflora, and a couple unID'd mexican species)...would those work at all?

I don't have unlimited space so I am wondering what the BEST species to do this would be. I'm probably going to just devote one shelf (it's tiered) which is maybe 12"x12" and clamp on some CFLs if that would work. Tray method, of course, should I find something that would act as a tray that size.

Shelf growing is all new to me so ignore my ignorance. I could get a better description of the shelves with a pic but I don't think I have any until I move back next week. For now I would really just like to know which plants I have would be good to try out. I am most worried about disrupting any of the good growth I currently am seeing.

all those can grow well, provided that you have adequate lighting levels. most of these plants will do well at room temperatures, some more tolerant of higher temps than others. best of luck. :)

i have affinis and admirabilis if similar conditions as yours and they both seem to like it, i know the madagascarensis i have grown in these conditions did wonderfully also

Oh jeez...I was hoping to narrow down the list a bit. If only I had bigger shelves otherwise configuring the lighting would be a PITA.

Where are you getting the: -Drosera admirabilis 'large form' ? ??? If I may ask..

replied kind sir.. Thank you.

I spoke from the future :D

Begginers advice to CPs so dont take what I say serously... But i would suggest if im reading it right, get two shelves and put them side by side so you can get the 4' shop lights. Then you can either continue with t5s or switch them up to t8s. right now im using t8s and my plants seem to be doing quite well. Best of luck :)

Thing is I don't need that much shelf space and I don't have 4' of room...

In that case clamp lights it is! And about the ditching of the terrarium... I would say yes as long as your careful. Shelf looks good, and lighting can always be changed :)

You don't need a tank for any of the species you've listed above. Dormancy might be a problem with D. capillaris and P. primuliflora. None of the others need winter dormancy. The pygmy Drosera may or may not go dormant in the summer but all you have to do is cut back on the water.

Wire shelves like those are what most people use. They aren't very expensive, can be assembled without tools. They aren't so big that you need a truck to bring it home. They are adjustable, water resistant and it's easy to hang lights and fans. Personally I'd get one with more shelves but all I grow indoors are Drosera and Dionaea so I don't need much space between the tiers.

The 36" shelf is what I would want, that's about all the floor space I can allow. Thanks NaN! Probably will be hanging lights then.

Do you know how much weight each shelf supports? It would be nice to put a 10/15 gal aquarium (filled with water of course) on their as well.

For the smaller unit, specs say 350 lbs per shelf. Shouldn't be a problem, 10 gallons of water is what 85-95 lbs?

Looks good to me. Price looks good with bulbs included and free shipping. I'd consider 3 foot fixtures so you can use all of the shelf space for plants. But 3 ft bulbs might be even harder to find than two foot bulbs.

Interesting...I would go for 3 foot bulbs but I'm having trouble finding them.

Would you go for the 2 bulb or 4 bulb fixture?

I could always add on some clamp lights and move the lower light plants to those ends.

Back