What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera ID please?

hey, i got a drosera from a shop and i would want to know exactly what kind of it it is.
Also, I have some pictures with its little plantlets i got it with :D i was so enthusiastic about those little ******** that i started counting them...here we go

Also, i've cut some of the petiols from the plant so i can try to propagate them through putting them on water and i took the flowers part and put it to dry. After that, i opened them gently and tried to get the seeds out, but frankly i don't know how they must look, so i took a picture of what got out. Are these the seeds? or just dry parts of the inner flower?

Thanks for your atention and i look forward for the answers! unfortunatelly i don't have a picture with a flower btw...ill put one if needed and if one will open.

Drosera capensis, either typical or wide form.

D. capensis
and yes, what you have on that napkin is seed.

Definitely Drosera Capensis.

It's not not a capensis. A prolific little bugger of a plant...

yup sure is capensis and yes those are seed

Thanks guys! Anything i should now regarding of how it looks and what i can do to look better and healthier? i got it 4 days ago and it looks like this.

Capensis are pretty hardy and don't need a whole lot of light...tray method for watering is probably best. Depending on where you live you could transition it for outside.

well im keeping them outside, my pingu i moved it inside cause i think i caused her a sunburn but the others two, aliciae and capensis are outside on my windowsill, getting sun from 9am to around 2-3pm, direct sunlight. And im using tray method, yep. btw, i saw my aliciae that her the older leaves are red and don't produce any more glue, do they need higher humidity or they're just old and they'll eventually die?

Sometimes I get that problem with dews...the very red ones wont produce dew but are still otherwise healthy and greener plants produce loads of dew. Can't say I really understand why.

Cape sundews don't appreciate a whole lot of heat but can tolerate it so some degree in my experience so I would keep an eye on that...

I've keep my dews with humidity ranging anywhere from around 40% to almost 70%...not sure where you are and what your specific levels would be like.

Well i live in Romania, my daily temps can reach 35*C in some days, and around 15*C during night. So yea, it's a bit hot. About the humidity, i dont really know, but i think it's about 50-60% most of the time. Little too hot and dry, i know, but im gonna try and put my hand on a terrarium until winter.

The humidity shouldn't be an issue if they are around those levels. The capensis generally likes temps at or below 80F/26C so if you could keep it shaded for those hot days it might help.

Will you be bringing it in during the winter? I assume it gets colder and you at least get some frost.

Yep, it's getting pretty nasty here in winter, frost, snow and things like that. I'll get them inside, and hopefully ill make some money and buy a terrarium and make them a cozy home from this winter on. If i take them to a little shade, wouldn't it make them more bad cause they get less sun?or it's more important not to get a bit cooked than to get more sun?

Back