What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should I do with Byblis liniflora seeds?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Greetings. I have a mature Byblis liniflora that I grew from seeds I bought. My Byblis has been flowering repeatedly and I now have plenty of liniflora seeds.

However, what treatment should I do with the seeds? I'm told that they need a cold treatment for a few weeks before sowing. Should I put them in my refrigerator or my freezer?

never heard of such a thing...cold treatment maybe to keep seeds viable, but can be sown directly without stratification...

never heard of such a thing...cold treatment maybe to keep seeds viable, but can be sown directly without stratification...

Really? The Savage Garden says they need a cold period first.

These are considered tropical plants so you should just sow and grow. Soaking the seeds for a few days in distilled water may help. Some people say a weak bleach solution to remove the dark purple color might help. Smoke or GA3 might help.

Savage Garden and another book suggest a cool, dry storage for about a month. What a lot of hobbyists do is put them in a 10% bleach solution to remove the purple dye. Then you rinse with water and sow on a medium of peat and sand.

Savage Garden and another book suggest a cool, dry storage for about a month. What a lot of hobbyists do is put them in a 10% bleach solution to remove the purple dye. Then you rinse with water and sow on a medium of peat and sand.

Is there a new edition of this book or something?....because I can't find where it says that. ???

p.185 in my book

Under "Propagation"

...A few weeks later, the brown pods will split, revealing up to two dozen seed. Store these dry in the refrigerator and sow in the spring. Or, after a rest period of a weeks, the seed will germinate in any warm, bright environment, such as under grow-lights.

When I got seeds sometime last year I just sowed them right away in my terrarium. Seemed to work for me...

p.185 in my book

Under "Propagation"

When I got seeds sometime last year I just sowed them right away in my terrarium. Seemed to work for me...

That's what mine says...it just mentions a "rest period"

My interpretation of that is that if you're getting seeds and want to wait until spring before sowing then you can keep them viable by storing them in a dry, cold place (fridge). But I don't think that means you need to do that in order for them to germinate...I never did at least. That may be where the confusion is coming from ???

Back