What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dew propagation

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
So I tried to do some replanting and it didn't go quite as planned...

1) The binata roots were so wrapped around the pot that the entire thing kinda got torn apart. Then soil got so caught up in the dew that it was impossible to bury roots without cutting the leaves off. Don't worry, I was able to get some in tact plants repotted.

Question: would I be better off trying to get plantlings from the roots or the leaves?

2) I was trying to separate an aliciae from the root system only it popped off with hardly anything for an established root system. It was a beautiful plant (see avatar) and I would hate if it go to waste.

Question: will any roots develop if I just let it float in water?

I guess this is what I get for trying to do this at 1am :headwall:

Last edited:
With D. binata I know root cuttings almost always work. Jimscott does leaf cuttings so he could give you an idea of the success rate.

As for D. aliciae the root will come back, maybe with 3-6 growth points. I've never decapitated a live growth point but if it's anything like D. venusta (answer yes) the crown/plant has an excellent chance of rooting. D. venusta spreads like a weed from the seed. The 18-24 inch flower stalks will widely disperse seed when they wave around from the slightest disturbance. I just yank them out like weeds. Sometimes I just get the plant leaving the root behind. Sometimes I get most of the root. What's left of the root comes back. I'll just set the crown/plant in CP mix and in a few weeks/months it will be back in business - depends on how much root was left. Floating in water should work.

Good to know for the binata, I have the remaining roots and the leaves both in water right now. Hopefully the ones I was able to replant somewhat successfully get growing well enough where it becomes less of an issue.

For the aliciae there isn't much left. I'm literally hating myself for being so careless but luckily there are some daughter plants and the rest of the root structure still left in the pot. This was also the plant that died back completely when I got it in the mail and came back with a vegeance from the roots. I'll leave it in the water too and see what happens.

I'm assuming that everything still needs some form of light?

Thanks so much for the help NaN, it's good to get some reassurance!

I guess you can think of your aliciae problem as if you would do a leaf-pulling to propagate it. Doing this, new roots will appear, right?:) i really don't think you can lose the plant because of this.

Yeah, some light is needed. It doesn't have to be overly intense. The main thing is to keep the cuttings from drying out. Live Sphagnum is also a good propagation medium but you have to keep it from overgrowing the plants. When ever I repot stuff and get root fragments or plants without roots I often will plant it in the various tubs of Sphagnum I keep handy. Rootless Sarracenia, flytrap flower stalk cutting, Drosera root fragments - you name it.

Sounds good! Right now it is in the water, sort of resting on some LFS (I don't have any live sphag).

I've had great success propagating binata leaves in water, in a sealed clear container. I just cut a bunch of leaves and stuck them in a deli cup, filled it with water, and stuck a clear lid on it. Out of 15 leaves, all had 5-10 plantlets after a month or so.

Last edited:
Binata leaf cuttings work great floating in water, I usually get 2-4 sprouts per leaf. Never taken root cuttings since leaf cuttings work so well but I assume they would work good.

Plant the binata roots in regular CP medium right on the surface, they grow back very quickly.

Binata root cuttings grow faster than leaf cuttings but you will probably get more plants from the leaf cuttings

Quick question about seeds...at what point can you collect? Should I wait for the flower stalk to completely dry up?

the whole stock including the stem may end up drying up at different times but usually what i do is wait till about half the seed pods are dried up then snip the whole stalk off store it in a plastic bag and wait for the rest to dry up before harvesting

Thanks!

Back