What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera of the Month: September 2011

I have been keeping them under a humidity dome outside in the greenhouse. Very high humidity. Was told they needed seasonal change to do well over time. But still wanted warm humid growing conditions when they are growing.

I'm going to put in... D.scorpioides. It's sort of in two clumps, and it's the tall ones. I started them from gemmae some time last year, and they've gone through a cycle of gemmae and flowering and somehow miraculously survived:

P9030019.jpg

P9030020.jpg

P9030021.jpg

P9030022.jpg

would love some gemmae from them most of my d roseanne just went dormant

Baaaw

Last edited:
Great shot, Mach!!!

How often do you feed yours, Devon?
Mine only keeps 3-4 small leaves on it unless i feed every leaf. Then it takes off.

I guess that could be why... I haven't fed mine in a while. I'll give it a shot. :)

Thez, I love the pygmies! :-O

If you want your plant to be in the contest, please refer to rule #3.

It doesn't look like D. regia to me.

I would agree on it not looking like a D. Regia. When my D. Regia seedlings grew, after the first cotyledons the leaves were like mini d. regia leaves- not rounded at all, but pointy and triangular. It looks more like a hitch-hiker in the soil. Unlucky :/

I would agree on it not looking like a D. Regia. When my D. Regia seedlings grew, after the first cotyledons the leaves were like mini d. regia leaves- not rounded at all, but pointy and triangular. It looks more like a hitch-hiker in the soil. Unlucky :/

A 4 month seed germination?

What do you mean? The plants started producing the triangular leaves after the first set of non-carnivorous leaves ??? The seeds themselves germinated very quickly, if that's what you mean?

What do you mean? The plants started producing the triangular leaves after the first set of non-carnivorous leaves ??? The seeds themselves germinated very quickly, if that's what you mean?

Well I meant what plant would take that long to germinate.

I don't know ??? Maybe the seed was in the peat, and got uncovered by watering or something? Time will tell- it's possible that it is a D. Regia, but is just being strange. It's one to watch, for sure!

Some Drosera seeds take 3 years to germinate. I have species that I don't even own popping up in pots I bought years ago.

D. regia should have linear leaves.

The D. regia offshoots from my R1 clone were linear, tapering to a filiform tip and displaying the circinnate vernation (tightly rolled leaves unfurling like a frond on a fern) characteristic of this species.

Even the plantlets from my clone C root cuttings have pointed leaves pretty much from the word go.

D. regia does not have stipules (bristles/membrane at the crown). I see stipules on your plant.

Was it connected to the root of the D. regia? All my offshots were connected together with the mother plant's root.

Here are some of Kulamauiman's D. regia seedlings:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn35/kulamauiman/DSC_00260011.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, my first entry on any of these little competitions is...

D. capensis 'red'!!!!

Lame, I know, and not even very red in my conditions, but I don't mind. I saw it today and it sorta had this "Watcher of the Bog" thing going on (a-la the Watcher in the Water in the Fellowship of the Ring, you see).

P9041280.jpg

Grown in 100% living sphagnum.

Enjoy!
Cj

Baaaaaaaaw

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwww

D. Aliciae pot, with some Burmannii on the side.
(3+ years old)

alicbur.jpg

013-6.jpg

D. roseanna

Back