What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Binata trouble

After returning from holiday for 2 weeks I noticed that my brother had let all of my plants dry out. The dews lost their dew but it returned within a couple of days after being watered, all but the D. Binata that looked particularly dry, I'll let the pictures do the talking..

It continued on a new tentacle that it was growing at the time which ended up a fair bit smaller than the rest, I thought this was simply because it was towards the end of the summer and it was getting less light. However now it hasn't made any new growth since, thats around 3 weeks ago, even with days of bright sun.. Could anyone tell me a reason for the dryness and lack of growth? Thanks for any advice.

Sorry about the poor images, my camera has an inability to focus on anything small.
IMG_2884.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2879.jpg

First off looks like it is not getting enough light. mine are in full sun with the sarrs. They have dried. All I do is full tray back with water till just below soil level and let it soak. Very very hardy and hard to kill unless very very neglected. Mine have gone dewless. Just water give enough light and they will be around.

mine lost all its dew ,it only can back on new leaves

If the glands dry out too much they will no longer produce "dew". New growth should produce dew. The plant has probably suffered some "shock" and may take time to recover. However many D. binata go dormant and will die down to the roots when they do. The "drought" may have triggered dormancy. If some growth does not resume in two or three weeks treat it like it is dormant and cut back the watering - keep the medium damp but not sopping wet. Most likely it will return in the late winter/early spring. D. binata are rather robust particularly if you have the self-fertile plants.

JB - It was growing nicely for over a month before being dried out so I'm not sure if lack of sun is the problem, thanks though

Not a Number - That does make sense, it has been getting pretty cold on the windowsill recently aswell, thanks for the advice!

another thought is that some of the roots when dried out may have died off, it may just be making new and puting the power to doing so rather than new top growth??? idk just an idea

I agree with NaN, these are hardy plants. I've had mine die back to the roots and go dormant after going in to "shock" from moving coupled with excessive heat, it seemed. Came back with a vengeance!

Here's the progression of mine...this past year it seriously was my most vigorous grower.
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124395

It'll come back fine. Keep the substrate moist, the air slightly humid, and a fair amount of light. I've seen them grow under 90% shade cloth from nothing but roots. They can go dormant with Sarrs and still grow when Spring comes. This plant is too stubborn to die.

Back