What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed viability

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
I'm not so much asking about storing seed in the refrigerator or anything along those lines...I'm wondering more so if there is a time table between a flower closing up and say cutting the stalk that determines whether the seed still inside the "pods" are still viable?

For both Drosera and Byblis, I tend to wait till the seed pods crack/burst.

I'm wondering more so if there is a time table between a flower closing up and say cutting the stalk that determines whether the seed still inside the "pods" are still viable?

If you cut a flower stalk before the seeds are viable, they will perhaps never become viable.

Premature ripening may take place if you cut the stalk early, but this is not sure if you are too early.

Length of seed viability depends on several factors: species, temperature, light and humidity. Seeds kept at temperatures 40°F and above will lose viability in a few weeks. However some species if the seed are sown can remain viable for several years. Seeds should be dry stored in an air/watertight container in the refrigerator between 33°F and 39°F. Properly stored seed can remain viable for decades, perhaps even centuries - some grain found in Egyptian tombs was able to germinate.

Viability is normally measured from the time the seed capsules split open.

You should refer to Dr. Norman C. Deno's Seed Germination Theory and Practice and supplements from which you can glean some data of viability lengths for several Drosera species. These are in the public domain and can be found on the USDA online library for download.

Seed should be removed from the capsules and cleaned as much as possible from flower parts. These can be a source of mold and fungus during storage and germination.

See Tamlin's plant articles on
Harvesting Drosera Seed
Sowing Drosera Seed

And articles on the ICPS website on
How to make seed packets
How to make Seed Envelopes and
How to Clean Seed

Note: If you find Tamlin's articles helpful or useful why not tell him so and write him a note and mail it (via Post Office). Or you forward an message via email to Valerie and she can print it out and take it to Tamlin when she visits him. For more info see this thread.

Last edited:
Is it possible to just use the seed pods as a natural storage compartment when shipping? I've seen the posts I think from the ICPS about making the origami envelopes but I think it would be easier to just not have to deal with getting seeds out of their pods in the first place...thoughts?

Just to clarify I want to be sending them out not storing them for myself.

Do what you want. Seems to me not to be a very good storage container that's likely to split open during transport or being thicker than paper bindles, get crushed in the letter sorting machines. Just my opinion.

And I can't tell you how many times I've split open seed capsules to find no seed in them. And the few times I've found mold or something with legs in there.

And I can't tell you how many times I've split open seed capsules to find no seed in them.
Agreed - you don't know what's in them until you open them & find out.

As NaN mentioned - why ship in a container (the seed capsule) that has been created to split open?

Just touching most drosera stalks when ready will scatter the seeds. I remove them veeeery carefully then shake them in an envelope to release the seeds.

I don't remove the stalks until the seed heads are brown and crunchy.

I guess that makes sense. The origami envelopes were pretty easy...

I got some out of my capillaris 'long arm' and sp. "Pretty Rosette". I seemed to be too early on the nidiformis and too late on the venusta.

Back